Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Five Kingdoms: Sky Raiders by Brandon Mull



Sky Raiders (Five Kingdoms) by Brandon Mull

Aladdin (March 11, 2014)432 pages

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

*Though it's been a month and a half/two months since I read this book, it will very likely make it on my "favorites" list this year, so I wanted to make sure it at least got a little feature at my blog.

Seriously! THIS is what I expect from middle grade fiction. (from ANY fiction, really!) I didn't want to put this book down, and especially right now, that speaks volumes. This story is full of courageous characters and adventures galore. Some of them are wacky and some a little creepy, but it was always fun and had me on the edge of my seat. The addition of friendships and secrets only added to my enjoyment!

Found within this story, there are floating islands, castles, treasures, and challenges against ferocious creatures. There are giant ponds of milk and cookies, a skeleton army, and a giant quilted pig. It was one of the coolest mixes of fantasy that I remember seeing in a long time, and I'm excited to see what shows up in the rest of the series.

My favorite character, so far? Liam! He has a great ODD imagination, paired with a bit of arrogance, and a bit of brilliance. I hope he plays a big part in the rest of the series!

My only disappointment? I remember now why I don't like reading books in a series before they are all published. I have to wait too long for the next book to find out what happens. While there is a bit of closure(for parts, anyway), it's left very obvious that the adventure has only just started. I'm looking forward to reading more from Mull, and I have the Fablehaven series in my reading plans SOON, Lord willing.

If you enjoy middle grade fantasy, and don't mind waiting so long for the rest of the series, put Sky Raiders on your reading list, for sure! I enjoyed every moment of my time in it.

**I was provided an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review.
    I appreciate you only read clean books.
    I am following your blog :)

    Another series you may be interested in is `The Knights of Arrethtrae` (Chuck Black). There are 6 in the series, and they are all published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Chuck Black, but I don't recall reading any of his books yet. I'm going to check that series out, though! Thank you! :)

      Delete
    2. Your welcome!
      I think you may like the series.

      Delete