Monday, July 21, 2014

A Little Jane Austen This Summer!



This summer, as part of Annette's Summer Reading Challenge at This Simple Home, I decided to challenge myself with some Jane Austen. (Charles Dickens was next in line, but I think I'll save him for Fall reading.) I've mentioned here before that I've tried to read Pride And Prejudice a few times, but I've never finished. I really DO want to finish it, and all of Austen's works! For this challenge, I'm choosing to read Emma. I've watched most of the movies based on Austen's books, and I believe Emma could end up being my favorite of the actual books. We'll see, though.





Since it's already well into summer, I better get on it! ;)


************************




On the Jane Austen note, Miss Laurie at Old-Fashioned Charm is having a Big Jane Austen Book Giveaway, so make sure you check it out, along with her blog. It's filled with all kinds of Jane Austen-y things.

From her blog:

"This blog is dedicated to sharing my love of Jane Austen, period costume dramas, classic literature and everything old-fashioned."

And, it really is!


************************

Which classic out there do you want to challenge yourself with?

6 comments:

  1. I've never read Austen...maybe I should begin with a movie or two.

    I'm about halfway through The Woman in White. It's good, but long. I'm glad you are joining the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the movies and Jane Austen spinoffs in the book realm. It's past time I actually read some Austen, though.

      The Woman in White is on my list for someday!

      Delete
  2. Austen in August meme begins in just over a week! An annual event for this reader for sure - lining up my choices... can be JA or JA variations - sooo many lovelies to choose ! stop by FHC for more and a link in sidebar if you're interested - you're always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds fun! I'm going now to check it out. :)

      Delete
  3. I read Pride & Prejudice first, then Sense & Sensibility, then Emma. I have to admit Emma was the hardest to get into. I love Sense & Sensibility, I've since read it again and loved it just as much as the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried P&P a few times now, but never finish. I thought maybe if I tried a different one, I'd have better luck. :S

      Delete