Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Somebody Like You by Beth K. Vogt



Somebody Like You by Beth K. Vogt

Howard Books (May 13, 2014) 368 pages

Description:

Haley’s three-year marriage to Sam, an army medic, ends tragically when he’s killed in Afghanistan. Her attempts to create a new life for herself are ambushed when she arrives home one evening—and finds her husband waiting for her. Did the military make an unimaginable mistake when they told her Sam was killed?

Too late to make things right with his estranged twin brother, Stephen discovers Sam never told Haley about him. As Haley and Stephen navigate their fragile relation­ship, they are inexorably drawn to each other. How can they honor the memory of a man whose death brought them together—and whose ghost could drive them apart?

Somebody Like You is a beautifully rendered, affecting novel, reminding us that while we can’t change the past, we have the choice to change the future and start anew.

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

First, a comment about the cover. Does anyone want to move her hair out of her face as bad as I do?! My OCD was in overdrive every time I looked at the cover. ;) Truly, that's the only bad thing you'll hear me say about this book, though!

Somebody Like You deals with a topic that could have went wrong in so many ways. It could have *easily* ended up corny and unbelievable. Thankfully, it was handled with perfection. Many emotions are covered with care and reality as the characters struggle through what is happening. It's no secret that I'm super emotional. I also try not to let anyone see me cry. There's a part involving a restaurant towards the end that made me have to put the book down and go to another room to recover from my need to bawl.

For a large part of the story, I honestly didn't know how things would go. I was quickly flipping the pages, and didn't know if this was a "romance" or not. It is....and a very sweet one, too.

If you enjoy a Christian romance that happens slowly, has a unique plot, and don't mind needing some tissues, give Somebody Like You a chance!

*There is a scene involving a Christian character drinking beer with a friend in case that would keep you from reading this book.

**I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment