Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Misery Loves Company by Rene Gutteridge



Amazon Purchase Link: Misery Loves Company by Rene Gutteridge

Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (July 22, 2013) 365 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

This is now the 3rd book of Gutteridge's that I've read, and they've all been very(very) different from each other. (Of course, 2 of them were co-authored, with 2 different authors, so I'm sure that made some difference.) Either way, I think it's safe to say I'm now officially a fan of hers, especially since I've been on the hunt for more of her works.

Misery Loves Company is one of those books that you need to go into, like me, without any clue what will happen. Just let the story unfold as you go! I'm not even going to put a description anywhere in my "review", because I sincerely believe that's the best way to go with this story.

Misery Loves Company is a story that has really made me think. After closing the page, I didn't leave the story behind. It's made me think about the way I read books, what kind of books I read, my blogging, my reviews, and social media, in general. In many ways, it was a wake up call for me, which I need regularly. (sadly) I'm not eloquent with my words, and I don't always have to right words to describe my thoughts and feelings, but reading this book has challenged me to try harder. (even if there was a moment or two when I wanted to shut down my blog and hide in shame) Really, there are multiple layers within the pages of this book. There's the story itself, but so much more underneath. It's a unique read in the world of Christian fiction! I know without a description all that probably makes no sense, but maybe that will make you curious enough to give it a try. ;)

Just a few things to note. This is NOT a romance. It is a bit suspenseful at times, and a bit mysterious, yet it wasn't too much for me(and I'm a wimp). There was one point I thought I was going to have to put the book down, because of my tendency to get scared and have nightmares. I was too far invested, though, and kept reading. I'm glad I did!

The only negative I'm left with is concerning one of the main characters. I'm still a little confused, maybe just undecided, concerning him. There were definitely some issues that needed taken care of with him, but he leaves the story in somewhat of a shadow.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed this book, and I have no hesitations whatsoever recommending it to y'all! It would make an excellent book club pick, in my opinion! If I ever join one in "real life", I think Misery Loves Company would be my first pick!

*Thanks to my local library for lending me an e-copy!

4 comments:

  1. LOVED this novel. It was so unexpected, and I liked that it went against the grain of "normal" mysteries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like books that stay with me long after I close the last page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo. You have definitely piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably the hardest reader to predict if you'll like a book or not, BUT I really think you might like this one! ;)

      Delete