Thursday, May 29, 2014

Until I Found You by Victoria Bylin



Until I Found You by Victoria Bylin

Bethany House Publishers (April 29, 2014) 352 pages

Description:

Finding each other was only the beginning . . .

When Kate Darby swerves off a mountain road to avoid hitting a California condor, she ends up trapped in her car, teetering on the edge of a cliff. Terrified, she breathes a prayer that changes her life.

It's Nick Sheridan who comes to Kate's rescue. Nick is handsome and confident, and he seems to develop a habit of rescuing her, but Kate is in town only until her grandmother recuperates from a stroke. She's not planning to get involved with one of the locals.

Nick is a reformed veteran of life in the fast lane, a new Christian, and a travel writer. When he sees a car dangling on the edge of a cliff, the daredevil in him jumps into action. He doesn't expect to be swept off his feet by the car's occupant. He's made a vow--no dating for a year--but keeping that vow is going to be a lot more difficult now that he's met Kate Darby. . . .

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

This is a story that I had actually somewhat read the description. I knew it was about a man that had sworn off dating for a year, but meets a girl. It sounded cute. More than anything, it was the cover that pulled me into this book, though. Isn't it pretty and springy?!

Nick is a "bad boy", turned "good boy" kind of guy. Due to the drastic turn his life has taken, he promised himself and God that he wouldn't date for a year. I liked him. He's trying hard to honor his promise. I DO think he could have made it easier on himself by not putting himself in certain situations, but mostly, I felt he was trying.

Kate, unfortunately, didn't win me over. She knows about the promise Nick has made, and yet she still asks him to "cuddle" at one point in the story, because she's had a rough day. ((sigh)) I have little tolerance for women who don't respect a man trying to stay pure and honor promises.

The highlight of the story, for me, was Leona. She is Kate's grandmother, and through letters, we learn a little about her past life. Condors are a large part of the story, too. They're ugly creatures, in my opinion, so I'm glad there are people out there willing to look out for them! ;)

There was a great deal of theological differences of opinions between me and the characters. Especially when it comes to salvation, I think the story left room for a lot of confusion with those who don't know what the Bible teaches or are new to the Christian life.

Overall, this is a cute story, and I truly believe most fans of Christian fiction will love it!

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Excited to be reviewing this one soon, too, Tammy. Thanks for your honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete