Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Quick Thoughts" Book Reviews



She Shall Be Praised: A Women of Hope Novel

FaithWords (January 7, 2014) 397 pages

Description:

When socialite Emma Crowell stops the carriage on the way to Portland to 'exercise' her new puppy, the last thing she expects is to be left behind in decidedly unsuitable attire, let alone kidnapped. Fortunately, she is soon found by local rancher Peter Lowery. Unfortunately, he has no intention of abandoning his livelihood to take her back to civilization until the fall. He will, however, provide food, shelter and safety, and in return he expects Emma to earn her keep.

Emma is surprised to find she enjoys the challenges of life at the cabin and feels drawn to Peter and his young son Robby. But though willing to learn, no matter how she tries, she never seems to live up to expectations. As Emma seeks God's guidance and aspires to the picture of womanhood shown in the 31st chapter of Proverbs, Peter comes to realize that he may be underestimating the strength and character behind this woman's beauty.

Quick Thoughts:

I'm always drawn to anything in relation to the Proverbs 31 woman. I saw that this story was somewhat based on her, so it went on my reading list.

Honestly, though, the story just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Emma starts out clueless on how to run a home. I still liked her, though. It was a sweet, innocent kind of clueless. I'm not a feminist at all! (If you are, I really don't think you'll like it at all.)Still, though, Peter's attitude in pushing Emma to be a homemaker just made me mad. I didn't like him at all, and that really hurt my liking of the book, in general.

Otherwise, it's a cute story.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.




A Captain for Laura Rose by Stephanie Grace Whitson

FaithWords (March 4, 2014) 324 pages

Description:

Laura Rose White's late father taught her everything he knew about piloting a Missouri River steamboat. He even named their boat after her. Despite that, it seems that Laura will forever be a "cub pilot" to her brother Joe, because in 1867, a female riverboat captain is unheard of. That is, until tragedy strikes and Laura must make the two month journey from St. Louis to Fort Benton and back in order to save her family's legacy, her home, and the only life she's ever known.

The only way for her to overcome the nearly insurmountable odds is with the help of her brother's disreputable friend Finn MacKnight, a skilled pilot with a terrible reputation. Laura loathes having to accept MacKnight as her co-pilot, especially when she learns she must also provide passage for his two sisters. Straight-laced Fiona has a fear of water, and unpredictable Adele seems much too comfortable with the idea of life in the rough and tumble environment of the untamed river and the men who ply it. Though they are thrown together by necessity, this historic journey may lead Laura and the MacKnights to far more than they ever expected.

Quick Thoughts:

I just haven't been overly in the mood for Christian fiction right now. That has nothing to do with my Christianity or anything. I once mentioned that in my current mood, I was glad a certain book I read wasn't Christian fiction, though I was expecting it to be. Wording it that way made me seem to be rebelling against my Christianity, and I assure you that wasn't the case. Christian fiction typically has a distinct style, and I'm just not in the mood for it at the moment. Life has been *super* stressful lately. I'm not complaining. It happens! ;) Still, stressful times changes my reading moods drastically.

Otherwise, I feel that I could have liked this book more than I did. The story had a hard time keeping my interest right now, though.

I DO like that it wasn't completely predictable. There were some surprises thrown in the mix along the way.

If you like stories were a woman makes her way in the world, despite roadblocks, particularly from men, give this one a try!

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment