Friday, April 18, 2014

Mom Seeks God by Julia Roller



Mom Seeks God: Practicing Grace in the Chaos by Julia Roller

My Thoughts:

This is one of those reviews that's hard for me to write. I DO believe the author had good intentions with this book, but I really didn't connect with it at all.

Lately, if you give me a parenting book that reads a large part memoir, I'll eat it up, and feel encouraged afterwards. This book reads mostly like a journal, so it's kind of memoir(ish), but I didn't overly feel encouraged afterwards, like I'd hoped.

The author takes 10 months, and spends a month for each of the "Spiritual Disciplines" she wants to work on. This book is her thoughts and failures/successes throughout those months.

Based on what is written in this book, it *seems* like the author relies heavily on man-made thoughts. Don't get me wrong! I find great encouragement from other people and their writings, speeches, and quotes. When someone seems to put that person's thoughts above God's Word, though, it worries me. I'm not saying that's the case with the author, but again, based on this book, that's the impression I got. (She mentions Richard Foster and his thoughts a great deal throughout the book.) I even flipped back through the book to make sure, but there's very few Bible verses throughout.

I mostly just found the book random and chaotic, with lots of rambling. (I do that, too!) Honestly, it seems the book was rushed and I get an unfinished feeling from it. At times, I was simply baffled.

So, overall, I can't overly recommend it.

*Thanks to Abingdon Press and Litfuse Publicity for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.


MOM SEEKS GOD Kindle HDX Giveaway & “Moms’ May Day” Facebook Party with @JuliaLRoller

Mom Seeks God by Julia Roller offers a highly relatable story and useful advice to help new moms grow in their faith as they address life changes with grace, patience, and prayer. As readers discover ten essential faith practices, they’ll learn that motherhood itself is a spiritual discipline and can be God’s most effective technique for forming a more Christ-like life.



Julia is celebrating the book's release with a fun giveaway and connecting with moms during a live Facebook author chat.





momseeksgod-400-click 
 
One winner will receive:


  • A Kindle HDX
  • Mom Seeks God by Julia Roller
Enter today by clicking one of the icons below. But hurry, the giveaway ends on May 1st. Winner will be announced at "Moms' May Day" Facebook Party on May 1st. Connect with Julia for an encouraging discussion on spiritual discipline and finding joy in the middle of motherhood. Win prizes, connect with other moms, and be inspired.



So grab your copy of Mom Seeks God and join Julia on the evening of May 1st for a chance to connect and make some new friends. (If you haven't read the book, don't let that stop you from coming!)

Don't miss a moment of the fun; RSVP todayTell your friends via FACEBOOK or TWITTER and increase your chances of winning. Hope to see you on the 1st!




1 comment: