Saturday, April 5, 2014

Miss Brenda and the Loveladies by Brenda Spahn and Irene Zutell



Miss Brenda and the Loveladies: A Heartwarming True Story of Grace, God, and Gumption by Brenda Spahn and Irene Zutell

My Rating: 3/5 stars

Description:

One woman’s fight to provide hope for the hopeless…
Seven ex-cons who changed her heart forever…

For Brenda Spahn, entrepreneur and businesswoman, wealth was a lifestyle—until a brush with the law threatened to send her to prison. In those dark moments, Brenda made a promise to God.

Spared incarceration, a renewed Brenda glimpsed into the lives of women serving time in one of the worst places in America—the Julia Tutwiler Prison for Women in Wetumpka, Alabama.

What she saw prompted a God-inspired vision.

With a heart to help and a will that couldn’t be crushed, Brenda fought the system and overcame tremendous obstacles to take ex-cons into her own home and help them navigate the alien world of life on the outside.

This is the story of Brenda’s journey from rags to riches to redemption. It’s the story of the first unlikely year of her “Whole Way House” and of the extraordinary lives of the first seven women who came to call her “Miss Brenda.” It’s a story that testifies to the power of faith and how God changes hearts every day.
My Thoughts:

I didn't really connect with this book. Mostly, that's due to the fact that there are lots Bible issues that I disagreed with, and therefore felt was wrong, within this book. I'm a very conservative Christian!

Also, with this being a Christian book, I didn't appreciate the profanity. Of course, I realize that it's what I'd hear inside a prison, and it's true to the surroundings and all, but I didn't appreciate it. There's lots of religious expletives, too.

Aside from that, I'll mention briefly the fact that the women within this book have had rough backgrounds. It gets graphic at times, although I'm sure it's rated G compared to what they actually went through. I'm not against all that being in the book!!! It makes me appreciate where these women are coming from, and appreciate what the author has did for the women! It wasn't easy to read, though, and I don't recommend it for younger readers.

Aside from my complaints about the book, I did benefit from reading it. Prison ministry is an area I need improvement on(as in, I don't do it!) Seeing the lives that the author has touched inspired me, and despite my disagreements, I truly appreciate what she's done!

Overall, inspiring, but lots I disagree with.

*Thanks to Waterbrook Multnomah for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was definitely different than my usual read! I hope you like it if you get to read it! :)

      Delete
  2. Huh. I was thinking that it sounded interesting but then reading your cautions and hesitations make me hesitate as well. I think it DOES sound like it could be inspiring. Prison ministry isn't for every one. We all have our different passions. Mine isn't in the prisons but I DO have passions for ministry elsewhere. Still, it's always interesting hearing about other passions and interests and see how people are serving. That's pretty cool.

    That all explained, I'd still pass on this book for the reasons you mentioned, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to do better about letters of encouragement/teaching/etc to prisoners, but actually going inside the prisons to teach isn't my thing at all. My skin isn't tough enough! ;)

      I really don't think you'd care for this book, but I could be wrong. :)

      Delete