Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Do's and Don'ts by Hayley Rose, With Illustrations by Mark Sean Wilson



The Do's and Don'ts by Hayley Rose, with illustrations by Mark Sean Wilson

Inkwell Productions (August 24, 2013) 44 pages

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

A few years ago, I got the opportunity to read and review Fifo "50 States", also by Hayley Rose. I loved it, and already have it lined up for our geography lessons when schooling begins this fall. When I saw that Hayley had a new book out, I knew I had to see it.

My little ones are 5, 2, and 1 now. We're always trying to teach them manners. Some things we've been more successful than others! ;) To me, visuals are a great way to get the point across, more often than not. The pages within this book almost act as posters. There's a lesson in manners on each two page spread. We're told at the beginning to not be manner monsters. With each lesson, the first page shows what we don't do, with a picture of the manner monster in action. The next page shows what we should do, with a picture of a well behaved boy or girl.

For example:

"Don't make fun of people who aren't like you. (Picture: The manner monster is pointing and laughing at someone.)
Do become friends and learn from others' differences.
'Nice shot Greg. You play well.'" (A picture of someone complimenting a basketball shot.)

While the pictures are *super* bright and glossy, I like the simplicity of the word portion of the book. It also covers many different "rules" and safety precautions, in addition to manners. There's a "lesson" in looking both ways before crossing a road, not opening doors for strangers, not lying, coughing into your arm, not screaming, among many others.

While there's really nothing in here that I think most of us aren't already trying to teach our little ones, again, the visuals are great! Plus, review is always needed.

I would hope it'd go without saying, but I will just in case. As a Christian, all things come back to the Bible for my family, so I think this book is a wonderful tool to use *alongside* Bible teaching. The pictures and mini lessons are wonderful discussion starters, and paired with Bible verses, I think makes an excellent tool for teaching manners to little ones, especially preschool aged.

*I was provided a review copy through Pump Up Your Book, in exchange for my honest opinion.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great review. I am so glad you enjoy my books.

    Best Wishes,
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have time, would you mind posting this review on Amazon and Goodreads too? Your reviews are always to detailed and I look forward to your opinion with each book. :)

      Thank you!
      Hayley

      Delete
    2. If you have time, would you mind posting this review on Amazon and Goodreads too? Your reviews are always to detailed and I look forward to your opinion with each book. :)

      Thank you!
      Hayley

      Delete
    3. Awww, thank you! I will get right on it! I meant to have already done it. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the great review. I am so glad you enjoy my books.

    Best Wishes,
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete