Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Shadow Hand by Anne Elisabeth Stengl



Shadow Hand (Tales of Goldstone Wood) by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

Bethany House Publishers (March 4, 2014) 416 pages

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Let me start off by saying that this is the 6th book in the Tales of Goldstone Wood series. **Please do not start with this book!** I absolutely adore this series, so I DO recommend you read them, just in order. I can't imagine the confusion you'd feel if you started in this book! I've read them all, and I was still a little confused at times. I think that means I need to take a month off, and reread all of these books! ;)

In Shadow Hand, Daylily and Foxbrush take center stage. (Lionheart and Felix also make return appearances with secondary parts.) Daylily flees into the forest on her wedding day, and Foxbrush goes to her rescue. Really, if you've read this series, that's all you need to know to imagine the adventurous possibilities that await and be excited about it!

The books within this series have taken us back and forth through time. Shadow Hand also takes us back and forth, but in present time, it's the newest story on the timeline. Especially when it comes to Eanrin, I found myself very confused (as far as his blindness goes). It took awhile for him to show up in the story, but once him and Imraldera made their appearances, my heart did a little leap of joy. A couple of new characters even won my heart in this book, too. Nadawi is a character that used every bit of my imaginative abilities to "see". And, the Baroness of Middlecrescent proved to have many layers beneath her "airiness".

Shadow Hand is a sad and dark story, and it even felt creepy to me at times. (From the beginning, it's made clear the story revolves around blood and love.) It may have been the fact that I was up late one night reading, hoping to finish. I'm finally learning that with these books, I won't be able to devour them. They are complicated books that take every moment of my concentration. I can't read these books with chaos in the background, and there is always chaos with children. I WANTED to devour this book! I was hooked every single moment. There's a bit of mystery and I wanted to know what was happening. I celebrated my little moments of quiet with this book, and reread many parts to make sure I was understanding. There's so many little details and secrets that I could reread and reread and still find new discoveries. The stories and characters that have been entwined together is pure brilliance.

Part of the ending was beautiful. As I've come to expect and admire with Anne Elisabeth's writing, it wasn't a perfect "happily ever after". The other part of the ending left me sad and disappointed. I wanted to change it! I'm holding out hope, though, since I know there's another book coming soon, although not soon enough for my tastes! ;)

Needless to say, but I loved it! I can't wait until I have the next book in my hands. I may just have to arrange for a sitter, so I CAN devour the next story.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

**The kindle version of Shadow Hand is only $3.99 right now!



Tales of Goldstone Wood:

Book 1:
Heartless
Book 2:
Veiled Rose
Book 3:
Moonblood
Book 4:
Starflower
Book 5:
Dragonwitch
Book 6:
Shadow Hand
Tales of Goldstone Wood Novella:
Goddess Tithe

3 comments:

  1. :D It's always so fun to get a copy of a book for review that you were aching to read anyway (and love!).

    I love the cover art. I usually like the cover art (at the very least!) on books you love. And I want her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the first book in this series. I should make the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will keep an eye out for this series and be sure to start with the first! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete