Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pups of the Spirit by Jill Gorey and Nancy Haller

I had hopes that I could get my review of Shadow Hand up today, because it is RELEASE DAY for it! It's not happening, though, unfortunately. :S I'm hoping to start today, and aiming for a Friday review.

I decided to go ahead and post this review, though, instead of Thursday.



Pups of the Spirit by Jill Gorey and Nancy Haller

Zonderkidz (March 4, 2014) 26 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

This is a cute little book about 9 puppies displaying their strongest "fruit of the spirit". We have Max that enjoys showing his love for others. Joy may have a grumpy bulldog face, but she's really quite joyful. Pete has the art of being at peace conquered. Peanut is a patient little "hot dog". Kay is just overflowing with kindness. Goose has the gift of goodness. Frankie is faithful-"dependable, loyal, and true". Gigi is gentle and warmhearted. Squeaky displays self-control, even when bones are nearby.

Grasshopper(5) really enjoyed this story. The only "issue" is that he kept asking about each dog's name, and I'd have to flip back through to remmeber who was named what, and who had which "fruit". (Of course, I really didn't mind!) On the bright side, I think I know these little doggies pretty well now! ;) Also, it's not really a story, exactly. Each dog gets their own two page spread(with a few dedicated to all the dogs) with a description of their "fruit" in action. The pages don't overly create a story.

The pictures are cute, and fun to look at. I like that the inside of the dust jacket doubles as a poster. It has all of the dogs with their name and fruit, along with a Bible verse and a discussion question. This really is a great little study resource to use when studying the fruits of the spirit with little ones! I also like that I can use one dog and fruit at a time depending on what we're discussing. (My resources have been exhausted when a certain little one of mine insists on biting his brothers. I'll happily throw this book into the mix, focusing on love and kindness. And gentleness! Or, maybe all of them! ;))

*Thanks to Zondervan for providing me a review copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion!

4 comments:

  1. My kiddo would love this. She's crazy about animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to introduce the fruits of the spirit to young children. I also love the cover. So bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very cheerful! :) It's a different approach with the dogs, so I like it.

      Delete