Monday, March 3, 2014

Growing Up Duggar by The Duggar Girls



Growing Up Duggar: It's All About Relationships by Jessa, Jinger, Jana, and Jill Duggar

Howard Books (March 4, 2014) 240 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

When I picked up this book, I honestly didn't expect to get that much out of it. I just love the Duggar family. They encourage me so greatly that I will read anything they write. I'm a 32 year old momma of 3 boys. I'm not exactly the target reader for this book. I DO have 2 nieces and I DO know young girls. I have a wonderful church family, which contains precious young ladies. As an older lady(Goodness, I still have a hard time calling myself a woman! I still feel young!! ;)), I want to be able to recommend good reads for those young ladies when asked.

That said, I truly got a great deal of "food for thought" in this book! The girls spend a great deal of time discussing their parents' discipline methods, and I soaked this advice right up! They also spend time discussing what they expect in a man, and how her parents go about trying to raise their own sons in this same manner. As a momma of three little boys, I also soaked up this advice. Of course, ultimately, the book is still obviously for single young ladies!

The girls talk about different kinds of relationships. They discuss a young lady's relationship with herself, with her parents, her siblings, her friends, with guys, and with culture. I truly wish I had these kinds of reads when I struggled as a young lady! I always knew my worth and kept myself pure, but I still struggled with my self esteem greatly. This will definitely be a book I recommend for each and every young lady out there! Actually, it's an amazing read for ANY single female out there, no matter what age. And, again, I think it's a great read for parents, too! The older I get, the more I seem to forget about myself when I was younger. This book is a great reminder, especially for parent's of young girls, of what they are going through.

Overall, I recommend this book, for sure! There's only 3 TV shows I make the time for(and I DVR those, so I can cut out commercials), and 19 Kids and Counting is one of those. I've missed them, and can't wait for their newest season to start. In the meantime, I enjoyed getting to know more about them and their lifestyles.

*Thanks to Howard Books for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I also read this book and just wrote up my review. (Had to wait to read yours until I processed my thoughts out! I'm going to link over to your review.)

    I DO like the Duggars...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious to see your thoughts now!

      It sounds like they might be a bit negative. ;)

      Delete