Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Beloved Daughter by Alana Terry


The Beloved Daughter by Alana Terry

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

The Beloved Daughter takes us to the world of North Korea, and gives us a peek into the life of a Christian. I don't typically read books like this. Unfortunately, I tend to live, more often than not, with an "ignorance is bliss" kind of mentality. With my "highly sensitive" personality, I turn my head away at sad things. Don't get me wrong! I pray about them when I see it, but then go on with the mentality of "out of sight, out of mind". This year I made a goal to challenge my comfort level(NOT conscience level!). Beloved Daughter was the perfect book to do just that.

At times it was difficult for me to read! The abuse, the torture, the neglect, the fear, and the harsh living conditions that these Christians suffer were horrible. Goodness, how spoiled we are in the U.S.! It made me realize how much I take for granted. I get the joy of attending church with my brothers and sisters in Christ 3(!) times a week. How often do I think about how much easier it would be to stay home with my 3 little ones. It IS A JOY and a privilege that I can freely worship God, and read my Bible at any given moment.

The Beloved Daughter is told in the form of a letter. It follows the life of sister Chung-Cha, the daughter of a Christian. The story is told through several parts, and follows the changes of heart and the changes of mind that Chung-Cha goes through. It follows the severe abuse that she, and her family, endures. We meets many different characters throughout the journey, and learn of different aspects of the life of a Christian in North Korea. The story almost seems non-fiction at times, but flows beautifully. I was pleased with some of the strings that the author tied together throughout. The story DOES end with a cliffhanger of sorts. I HOPE this means we will see more in either Slave Again, which comes out this summer, or a future book!

I highly recommend you grab copy of The Beloved Daughter, and, as hard as it is, learn a little more about the persecution our brothers and sisters in Christ are suffering! We need to pray harder for these lives!

Content: There IS violence and abuse throughout the story, BUT the author never gets too detailed. She perfectly balances giving us the knowledge of what's happening without making us sick. I can assure you, if she had went into into a great deal of detail, I WOULD have been sick. Again, though, I felt it was the perfect balance!

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

And, now, a little preview of Slave Again!


She escaped a North Korean prison camp only to find herself enslaved again.


Slave Again, by inspirational suspense novelist Alana Terry.

Cover Reveal: Mee-Kyong endured a childhood fending for herself in a North
Korean prison camp. When she finally flees across the border into China, Mee-Kyong must draw upon all her survival skills. Does Mee-Kyong have the cunning she needs to escape the world of abuse and
shame into which she's been sold? Can she manage to save both herself and the innocent child under her
protection?
 

About the Author:  Alana Terry is a homeschool mom, pastor's wife, and Christian author. Her debut novel, The Beloved Daughter, has won awards from Women of Faith and the Book Club Network. The Beloved Daughter was a number one bestseller in Christian suspense on amazon. Her next novel, Slave Again, is due out this summer.





Giveaway Time! Alana is giving away free copies of her next release to anyone who makes a donation to Liberty in North Korea, an organization dedicated to rescuing refugees who escape North Korea. She's also giving away a mini kobo e-reader and several copies of Slave Again, so be sure to enter the giveaway below!







a Rafflecopter giveaway






5 comments:

  1. I'm like you, I have a hard time reading heartbreaking stories, but when it's written without too much description, I can handle it. This one sounds like an emotional but important read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't think there was too much description, and I'm a wimp when it comes to that kind of thing. ;)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the review! I really appreciate what you have to say. I was like you, being really sensitive to things. It was really hard doing the research for Beloved Daughter for sure. I'll never be the same. What an improtant reminder to be thankful that we can worship God and stay home with our little ones too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete