Friday, February 28, 2014

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan



Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy Book 1) by Sarah Rees Brennan

Random House Books for Young Readers (September 11, 2012) 386 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

While it's really *much* more complicated than this, Unspoken is about an imaginary friend come to life. How cool is that?! Kami has always talked to and heard someone in her head named Jared. Little did she know that he's a real person.

There's a great mystery throughout most of the book, and I found myself flipping the pages to find out what it was. I don't read much paranormal. I tend to stick to the fantasy/fairy tale realm of books when I venture that direction. There's two groups in the paranormal realm that I really don't like. They typically make me a little uncomfortable. BUT! I have enjoyed books in the past with these groups. Again, though, if I know ahead of time, I'm most likely to stay away. Unspoken contains one of those groups that I avoid. It'd completely be a spoiler to tell you, so I won't. It made me a little uncomfortable at times after I knew, though.

The humor in this story was such a joy! Oh, how I loved the sarcastic humor of Kami and Jared. I laughed out loud quite a bit. Thankfully, when my children hear me randomly laugh out loud, they laugh with me. Really, who needs a reason to laugh?!

Mercy, how I disliked the ending of this book! It made me furious, and I felt so helpless, and I wanted to CHANGE it! Plus, it's a cliffhanger, and reminded me why I like to wait for all the books in a series to be out before reading it. There were also some issues that came to light that clashes with my Christian beliefs.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book!!!! I really did! But, I'll probably read spoiler reviews for the remaining books.

Content:

Mild profanity throughout, with a one or two requests for God to "da**" a person. Religious expletives. Homosexuality.

*Thanks to my local library for providing me with an e-copy of this book to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment