Friday, February 7, 2014

The Vicar's Wife by Katherine Swartz



The Vicar's Wife by Katherine Swartz

Lion Fiction (October 18, 2013) 336 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

The Vicar's Wife swaps between two women struggling with homesickness. Alice's story is told during the 1930s-40s. She is young(19) when she marries the love of her life. She doesn't know how to cook or clean or crochet like a "good" vicar's wife would do. Knowing only a life with her father, it's quite an adjustment when she moves to a new home with her husband, David. Life doesn't turn out like she expected.

Jane moves to Cumbria after her daughter is negatively influenced by her friends in the U.S. and her husband declares his desire to move back to his homeland. Her husband is British, and he's made the sacrifice for her for the past 16 years to live in New York, after all. It's what any good wife would do. She has a difficult time adjusting to her new life, to say the least.

When Jane finds an old shopping list, she starts doing a little research and discovers that her and Alice shared a bit of the same heartache.

While this book is a bit depressing, I still found it to be a beautiful, cozy(ish) read. I fell in love with Alice's character. She was sweet and innocent, but still had her struggles. There was one part of me that could relate to Jane. I'm suffering through some intense winter blues, and I could feel her pain. On the other hand, I didn't so much connect with her. I long for a life of simplicity, and she can't bear it. She's left behind a world of "go-go-go" and she misses it. I was a little jealous of the cozy little world she couldn't seem to live with.

A couple of things to note:

I wouldn't label this book "Christian" at all. It is clean, though(very mild profanity). Also, if you're looking for a romance, you won't get it in this book. Surprisingly, these two factors made me enjoy the book more. Maybe it's the kind of mood I'm in right now!

Overall, I enjoyed my time in this relaxing English village, even it it did come with pain and heartbreak.

*Thanks to Kregel Publications for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I love the cover. And I love the term: vicar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see your positive review because I've always enjoyed cozy British fiction with small-village settings. Don't know if I'll ever get to read this, but would love to.

    And thanks for commenting on my blog post about Songs of the Shenandoah. I don't usually write that long of a review, but I was trying to portray the essence of the story/series. I'm impressed that you read it, Bluerose! Hope to see you around more.

    ReplyDelete