Monday, February 17, 2014

Only the Best by S. Craig




Only the Best by S. Craig

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Jet's dad has just passed away, and left her with nothing but a run down farm. Her siblings were given millions of dollars worth of money/things. She's used to living the life of luxury, and is left with anger and bafflement as to why her dad would leave his "favorite" child with so little. Then she meets Scott, and he adds humor and frustration to her days as he helps Jet turn the farm around.

Admittedly, it took a little while to appreciate this story. Jet is completely unlikable at the beginning and Scott isn't much better. Jet actually shoots a bull at one point because he looked at her wrong! "What?!" (She pays the price, and it turns out to have probably been a wise decision.) Both Jet and Scott are childish and mean. They fight and argue more like brother and sister a great deal. They called each other names throughout, with stupid being a favorite of theirs.

BUT!

There IS growth! I loved that there wasn't so much as to make one think being a Christian makes a person perfect, though. This is very much a Christian story! (Most would think it gets preachy at times.) At the end we are still left with imperfect characters, and with this story, I think it fit perfectly. Scott and Jet encourage each other to grow and improve in different ways.

A unique feature in this book is the fact that Scott is completely deaf. He reads lips and uses sign language to communicate. Jet knows sign language well, so that greatly helps her relationship with him. It's not everyday that you come across books, especially Christian fiction, that feature main characters with traits such as within these pages.

There is romance within the pages, but it's very tame, which I greatly appreciated. As Christian fiction becomes edgier and edgier, I'm grateful for the authors who do chose to keep their stories gentler for those who prefer it that way. This story is perfectly clean!

The more I read through the story, the crazier the animal events were getting. I was a little confused, and left thinking maybe "farm" books aren't the best fit for this vegetarian, but it DOES all come together! A little mystery and suspense adds itself to the story, becoming my favorite part!

Overall, this was a fun little escape, and I enjoyed it.

*I was provided an e-copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I like the fact that one of the characters is deaf. I know sign language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful and very cool! I've wanted to learn it for a long time now, but I've never took the steps I needed to.

      Delete