Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mind Games by Kiersten White



Mind Games by Kiersten White

HarperTeen (February 19, 2013) 261 pages

Description:

"Fia and Annie are as close as two sisters can be. They look out for each other. Protect each other. And most importantly, they keep each other's secrets, even the most dangerous ones: Annie is blind, but can see visions of the future; Fia was born with flawless intuition—her first impulse is always exactly right. When the sisters are offered a place at an elite boarding school, Fia realizes that something is wrong . . . but she doesn't grasp just how wrong. The Keane Institute is no ordinary school, and Fia is soon used for everything from picking stocks to planting bombs. If she tries to refuse, they threaten her with Annie's life. Now Fia's falling in love with a boy who has dark secrets of his own. And with his help, she's ready to fight back. They stole her past. They control her present. But she won't let them take her future."
My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

The writing style in this book drove me INSANE!! The main character, Fia, comes across as highly hyped up on some caffeine. She's repeating little phrases constantly and jumping from one thought to the other. (I highlighted several examples through the book, but forgot to write them down before returning it.) Really, the author did an amazing job of capturing her troubled mind through the writing. Still, I couldn't deal with it.

The chapters alternate between the two sisters, Annie and Fia. To me, the book still seemed to be Fia's story, though. She has a very dark mind, and though I think I was supposed to, I didn't overly like her. There are some decisions she makes that kind of turned me against her.

I DID enjoy the book enough that I'm curious to know what happens! I think I'll find some spoiler reviews somewhere to find out, though.

Content:

I'd say this is a clean read for an older/more mature YA reader. There's some partying scenes, with dancing, kissing and drinking. There's some violence, and mention of killings/murder. As far as I remember, there was no profanity at all.

*Thanks to my local library for providing me with an e-copy of this book to read.

3 comments:

  1. Curious about this novel - and author, so your review makes me all the more excited to read this one, Tammy. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one around but don't know if I will read it. The writing style might drive me insane too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd wrote down the samples parts, so you could see. Grammar rules did not apply to this book!! ;) It was crazy.

      Delete