Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Like Moonlight at Low Tide by Nicole Quigley



Like Moonlight at Low Tide: Sometimes the Current Is the Only Thing That Saves You by Nicole Quigley

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Do you ever read a book that you really just don't want to review? I'm there right now, unfortunately.

I'm a mommy to 3 little ones. I spend more days in survival mode than anything else, and this simply wasn't the best pick for me right now. I'll let you know right now that my review is NOT the best one to look at as you're deciding to read this book. I'm finding the older I get, the less I can tolerate YA books. Don't get me wrong! I DO still enjoy them, but as I tried recently to re-read one I'd loved a couple of years ago, I couldn't finish it.

Last year, I read(and LOVED) Glass Girl by Kurk. This one sounded similar(though it wasn't) and it had lots of 5 star ratings. I decided to take a chance on it. The main character, Missy(nicknamed Messy), was bullied a few years ago before her family moved away from the torture. When her family moves back, things start changing. Missy is now "hot". When her former crush starts showing her attention, things are looking up in her world. But, there's the Christian neighbor that has grabbed her affections, too.

The main theme of Like Moonlight at Low Tide seems to be suicide and bullying. I appreciate those themes!!!! I think as a teenager, I would have enjoyed this book more. But, there is so much drinking and partying and kissing! It just bugs me like crazy to see a girl hang on so tightly to a guy that treats her like crap. That's pretty much the whole book! There's very little of the book dedicated to her "coming to her senses". (As a memoir of someone who made bad decisions and came to his/her senses, I'm a fan! I've grown to love memoirs, so no one take offense here!) It tells in the prologue that this isn't a suicide book, but I still feel like so much more could have been written in concerning that part.

Again, I appreciate the effort dedicated to the issues of suicide and bullying, but I can't say this book overly worked for me. Mostly, I didn't connect to most of the characters, and I wanted to shout some sense to them. ;)

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. I totally get that survival mode thing. If I'm not happy with a book in the first few chapters I quit reading. I don't like books where the girl is with a jerk! Too bad this wasn't a great read. Have you read Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress? It'll cheer up your reading blues. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read those for sure!!!! I'm going to have to request them at my library! ;) (I hated to not finish this one since it was for review.) :S I'm definitely in a reading slump with most books right now, though.

      Delete
  2. I just finished a book I didn't want to review but it wasn`t YA. So far, all the YA books I read were my saving grace. But this one would have me frustrated too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just picking the wrong YA books right now, because I DO love them. (at least some of them) I've had issues with middle grade lately, too, though! :S

      Delete