Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Kilmeny of the Orchard by Lucy Maud Montgomery



Kilmeny of the Orchard by Lucy Maud Montgomery


My Thoughts:

The Lucy Maud Montgomery Reading Challenge was in January, and therefore, ended, but I still want to get my thoughts posted on Kilmeny of the Orchard. Since Blue Castle was the pick for January's Reading to Know Classics Bookclub, it's the one I planned to read. I only had a PDF copy of it, though, and my eyes are in no condition to strain THAT much. The print was beyond tiny. So, hopefully, y'all will forgive me for changing my pick. :)

Despite my disappointment of not getting to read Blue Castle, I ended up loving Kilmeny of the Orchard. It was SO incredibly sappy and corny at times that I snickered a good bit. At one point, I had to stop reading for a minute in order to cease laughing. Still, I loved the fairy-tale(ish) quality of it. This is a very short book(a novella, really), so I was disappointed that it ends where it does. I wanted more!

Just like in The Story Girl, I was surprised that the main character is a guy. Kilmeny is obviously a big part of the book, but the main focus is on Eric. He goes the Prince Edward Island for a temporary teaching position, and meets Kilmeny in an orchard. She plays the violin beautifully, but she can't speak. As you would expect, they get to know more and more about each other.

Slight SPOILER!!!!

One thing that annoyed me was the constant attention paid to Kilmeny's beauty. Different character within the story were worried about Eric "friending" Kilmeny due to the fact that she was mute. Once they met her, though, and saw her beauty, they immediately liked her, too. If she had been plain, I guess she'd have been out of luck! ;) Don't get me wrong! I do like for my characters to be beautiful, but I prefer that beauty to shine from within. Kilmeny's does, but there's still so much focus on her outward beauty before anyone gets the chance to know her inside. Does that make sense? It just kind of bugged me.

End Spoiler!

I'm in Alabama(where it's usually warmer than most of the US), but it has still been much colder than I care for! I am *beyond* ready for some warm weather and SUNSHINE!!! My mentality needs it for survival right now! This lovely little story was like a breeze of springtime through my mind, and I adored that! I think I'll always have fond memories of it for the "cheer" factor it comes with. I've only read 3 books by Montgomery so far, but I've enjoyed the nature descriptions in each of them. As the winter depression kicks into high gear, a book like this is a perfect pick. Really, I need to be reading more books like this right now!

So, that's 2 out of 3 Montgomery books so far that I have loved!

6 comments:

  1. I re-read Kilmeny a few years ago and got a big kick out if it, probably more than I did when I first read it as a teen or young adult. ;-)

    I hear you on this unusually cold AL winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to see your review of Kilmeny now! I think the older I get the more corny I find books like this, too, BUT I still enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love reading your reviews! They always bring a smile to my face because of your honesty. It seems in some older books the main character was always breathtakingly beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! You just made my day. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. This is one of a few of Montgomery's books I haven't read, but it sounds interesting. I can understand the frustration with Kilmeny's beauty being sufficient for people to like her--but it probably (unfortunately) reflects reality a fair bit.

    It's too bad the only way you could get The Blue Castle was on PDF. Unless you have an e-reader, it's just too hard to read in that format (in my opinion). I read The Blue Castle and really enjoyed it; the protagonist is not at all beautiful in that one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you for sure that it seems to reflect reality more often than not. For some reason, the way this story went about it bugged me more than a beautiful character ever has before. Truthfully, it usually doesn't bother me at all.

      I have a Kindle Fire, but I still couldn't get the print anywhere near what I needed it to read. I had got it free through a website. Also, I challenged myself to not buy any books this year, so I couldn't buy the kindle version. :S Hopefully, next year! :)

      Delete