Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Fun Loving You by Ted Cunningham




Fun Loving You: Enjoying Your Marriage in the Midst of the Grind by Ted Cunningham

David C. Cook (September 1, 2013) 226 pages

My Thoughts:

It was almost by mistake that I ended up reading this book! Another blogger, whose opinion on books I highly value, has recommended the marriage book What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage. I've had it on my wish list for awhile. When I saw Fun Loving You, for some reason I thought it was the same author. Since I knew he could write a good book on marriage and it was available for me to read, I grabbed it. I kept thinking the more I read, the more it didn't seem like a book(or writer) this particular blogger would overly enjoy. I finally went to do a little research, and realized my mistake. Paul David Tripp....Ted Cunningham...They almost sound the same, don't they? ;)

Also, if I'd known this was the same author that wrote Young and in Love: Challenging the Unnecessary Delay of Marriage, I'd probably have avoided it. He mentions his thoughts concerning the subject a little in this book. I'm not so sure how much I agree/disagree with him yet. I'm leaning towards disagree from what little he mentions, but I can't say for sure. I only mention that so you know, I'm not necessarily on his side concerning that book.

With this book I'm torn on whether or not to recommend it. My blog is pretty much intended for a female audience, and I can't overly recommend this for *most* female readers. Here's where I'm going to be super vague, because I feel that's best. There was a couple of particular aspects of the book that had a negative impact on me. I'm still working through one of them. If you connect with me at all, just take my word, and avoid it. ;)

On the other hand, there were things I really enjoyed about the book!

First of all, I laughed, and that's always fun. There are even some things in here that were so super corny that I shared them with Jonathan and we both had a good laugh. There was some humor that I felt would be more appropriate for a male reader, though.

Secondly, this is an author that is pumped up for good marriages. Reading this book just made me think of someone hyped up on a few dozen energy drinks. He has a very energetic and humorous writing style. He celebrates two people working towards a good marriage, though, and I have to appreciate that.

Thirdly, the author does a little mini study on The Song of Solomon throughout the book. I loved this! I learned a great deal from it. As much as I hate to admit, there's so much in that book that goes right over my head, yet I've never did a Bible study on it. Fun Loving You not only taught me a great deal about that book, it also gave me the desire to study it more.

Fourthly, there are tons of date ideas and conversation starters within the book. Admittedly, as I mentioned above, a great deal of these are about as corny as you can get, but there were some good ideas in there. They center around a theme, like adventure. It was this list that made me want to try a new restaurant on mine and Jonathan's next date. We tend to stick with a couple of favorites, and who knows, we might add another favorite to our list! (If you get this book for the lists, I'd recommend getting a hard copy, as opposed to an e-book version.)

So. Overall, I came away with some positive. With three little ones, it's too easy to allow the exhaustion to drown out the fun in our days, and this book reminded me how we need to laugh more together. But, there was the negative, too. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip it. :S IF you don't so much connect with me, and you like humorous non-fiction, then this might be a perfect book for you!

*Thanks to Netgalley and B&H Publishing for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

**Through February 19, 2014, you can grab the e-version of this book FREE from Amazon. If you think you might like it, make sure you grab it quickly!

3 comments:

  1. The book title got me right away. I've been married for 22 years and sometimes I think I desperately need some ideas about having FUN in my marriage. LIFE gets in the way, you know what I mean, right? But I am on the fence about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! I know what you mean! We've only been married 8 years(almost 9), and our little ones takes so much time and energy, we sometimes forget how to have fun.

      There really are some great ideas in here!

      Delete