Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale



The Goose Girl (Books of Bayern)

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

This is now the third book of Hale's that I read, and I've enjoyed all of them. While they've been completely different, I still see many similarities. All 3 books that I've read have been fantasy, but the magic within them are so subtle, I'd say they've very *light* fantasy books. The magic is more natural than most fantasies. Also, the main characters have many difficult obstacles to climb in order to find their "happily ever after". They're full of good character qualities, but they have to grow to completely discover their strengths.

The Goose Girl was a beautiful story. Ani is very shy, coming off a little social phobic at times. She's next in line for the throne of Kildenree, though, so she's constantly trying to push herself to do better and be who she's expected to be. She struggles! It doesn't help that she's constantly trying to talk to the animals. The kingdom finds her to be a little odd, and not overly fit to fill the crown. She eventually finds herself on a journey to Bayern, where she will marry a man she's never met. Things don't go exactly as planned, and she finds herself running for her life. She discovers there's so much more to life than what she's learned in her closed off little world.

Since Ani comes off a little social phobic, I connected greatly with her. There were many times I *knew* just what she was feeling, and the battle she was facing. As you would expect, she grows a great deal through the story, and I learned lessons from her. I close myself off from the world entirely too often, and it's time to open my eyes to the struggles going on around me in the world.

This is the first book in the Books of Bayern series. From what I can tell, the characters from the other books are also in this first book. Even though the ending left me feeling mostly satisfied, there are still lots of loose threads I would love to be tied up in the rest of the books.

Overall, The Goose Girl is a sweet fairy tale(ish) retelling with a leading lady that any little girl could look up to. I'm looking forward to continuing my adventures in the rest of the Bayern books!

*Thanks to my local library for providing me with an e-copy of this book to read!

2 comments:

  1. My daughter and I like Shannon Hale but we have yet to read this one. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think y'all will like this one, too! I think I recall both of you liking Book of a Thousand Days, and this one is kind of similar(yet different). :)

      Delete