Friday, January 17, 2014

Related by Chance, Family by Choice: Transforming Mother-in-law and Daughter-in-law Relationships by Deb DeArmond



Related by Chance, Family by Choice by Deb DeArmond

Kregel Publications (October 3, 2013) 208 pages

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I hate to admit that after being married 8 years, this is the fist book I've read concerning the MIL/DIL relationship. This is the kind of book that should be read as soon as a mother/fiancé knows that marriage is on the horizon. I don't care how wonderful a MIL/DIL is, it's a relationship that comes with difficulties. I read this book because *I* have great room for improvement!! I don't always react to situations in the best way, and I welcomed some advice on how to be a better DIL. I wish it had been around for me to read when I first became engaged!

Deb writes this book with the experience of three "daughters-in-love". With three boys of my own, and Lord willing, 3 future DILs, I devoured her advice(from both sides!). I already pray for my sons' future wives, and I hope that I can be the kind of woman that they will grow to love as more than what is typically thought of with the term "mother-in-law". Despite the fact that my oldest is only 5, I already have so much great advice to ponder during the many years we wait to meet our DILs. I like that Deb's DILs get their part in the book, too. I will pray greatly that my DILs will love me as much as those girls love Deb!

Not only is there a great deal of advice and Bible verses concerning the MIL/DIL relationship, but much of the advice can be applied to ANY relationship. I found this greatly helpful! One of my personal goals this year is to focus on strengthening the various relationships I have with many different people. I can keep much of the advice Deb gives in mind for more than just my MIL or future DILs.

This is a super quick and simple read, so even if you're already in the busy planning stages of marriage, read this book! If you plan on having a MIL or DIL at any point, or if you already are one, this book is for you, too! I can't recommend it enough!

*Thanks to Kregel Publications for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. I have a good/great relationship with my MIL, but this is on my Kindle waiting for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my mother-in-law, too! :) There was still a lot of advice I needed. I think you'll like this one!

      Delete