Friday, January 3, 2014

Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman, With Illustrations by Skottie Young



Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman with illustrations by Skottie Young

HarperCollins (September 17, 2013) 128 pages

Description:

(From Amazon: Because it keeps things more vague than I could.)

"I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner shop, and heard a noise like this: T h u m m t h u m m. I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road."

"Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. And then something odd happened."

Find out just how odd things get in this hilarious story of time travel and breakfast cereal, expertly told by Newbery Medalist and bestselling author Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Skottie Young.

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I knew absolutely nothing about this book before reading it, except that it was by Neil Gaiman. I've wanted to try Gaiman's writing for quite awhile. He seems to be a Tim Burton to the writing world, which, of course, grabs my interest. Once I got to reading, I quickly realized just how short this book is. I hadn't looked at the page count, and I was expecting to settle in for a much longer read. I'm not complaining there! I actually loved the story! Even with the small page count, the book is generously sprinkled with illustrations, which I loved just as much, if not more, than the story. That said, I don't think one could work well without the other. I didn't time my reading, but I can't imagine it took me more than 30-45 minutes to read, and I'm not a quick reader.

With the Tim Burton reference, you might(or might not) be wondering, "Was it wonderfully weird?". Absolutely! I am thrilled to say, "Yes!". It actually kind of reminded me of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, as far as nonsense corniness. Of course, the story lines are in no way the same. I DO feel that some of Gaiman's other works will be a better Burton comparison. This one is fun and sweet and laugh-worthy. I'm kind of looking forward to the dark factor being added to the mix, which still amazes me. Lord willing, though, I'll be reading The Graveyard Book soon!

I liked this book so much, I'm hoping my library gets it in physical form soon. I think it will make a perfect read aloud for Grasshopper(5)!

I definitely recommend this read for ALL ages!

(As a side note, there is comments referring to evolution, in case that will bother any of you. At no point does the story dwell on the subject, though.)

*Thank you to my local library for providing me with an e-copy of this book to read!

2 comments: