Friday, January 24, 2014

Bedtime Prayers That End With a Hug by Stephen Elkins



Bedtime Prayers That End with a Hug! (Share-a-Hug!)

Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (December 25, 2013) 168 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

There was a point in my life that I didn't care for "sample" prayers. It's only been in the past few(couple?) years that I've grown to see their benefit and now enjoy them. I had to see them as *only* sample prayers to grow fond of them. I felt that it was wrong to simply "recite" a prayer, and felt it needed to come from the heart. Sample prayers give me many more things to pray about that I hadn't even thought about, and show me ways or words to use that I find pleasing. It's always a goal to improve my prayers life, and let me assure you, it needs improving!

That's why I like books like this, though. I want my children to feel comfortable enough praying that they don't hesitate to step up and be a prayer leader at any point, whether it's before a meal, or at worship services, or simply before bedtime. They'll lead and teach me one day, and while I have them to teach, I want to do everything I can to equip them to be the Christian leader God intends for them to be. There are many examples of things for a child to pray about throughout this book!

There are 52 devotionals throughout. They cover such topics as praying for grandparents, pets, the sick. Also included are such topics as worrying, being content, and forgiveness.

Each devotional starts with a Bible verse. (Due to the way these verses are abridged, I prefer reading the suggested verse from the Bible.) It's followed by a very short devotional, a Bible thought, a prayer, and a recommendation for a hug. It's always nice to get in an extra hug! ;)

The pictures are *adorable*! They are super sweet! (with frosting and sprinkles on top) I ADORE sweet little books with precious pictures that make me want to wrap up in a blanket and cuddle and read with my little ones. This one fits the bill with that! My only complaint is that the adults look like big kids. If there's not a child in the picture to compare size, you'd never be able to tell it was an adult. I like adults from the Bible to LOOK like adults when they are represented in pictures! (Just a little pet peeve of mine.)

Overall, this is a sweet little book that I think most parents and children will fall in love with! It's also a wonderful tool to help children expand their prayer subjects.

*Thanks to Tyndale House Publishing for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion!

1 comment: