Thursday, January 9, 2014

99 Stories from the Bible by Juliet David with Illustrations by Elina Ellis



99 Stories from the Bible by Juliet David with illustrations by Elina Ellis

Candle Books (November 1, 2013) 196 pages

My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

As with most Bible summary books for children, there are some in here that I liked and some not so much. I'd say the stories in here are probably best for 2-4 year olds. They are super summarized from the originals. As is, many of them lack important details, in my opinion. The summaries DO provide a great starting point for discussion, though.

Despite my examples of some I didn't like, I DID like many of them.

An example of one I didn't overly like: (The summary of Day 6 of Creation)

"All sorts of animals

On day six God said, 'Let there be living things on land too!'
So he created dogs, horses, and camels; lions, lizards, and snails; worms, wombats, and warthogs."
I'd prefer to add when reading that, God created ALL animals...EVERYTHING, to ensure that there is no confusion. My children have a pretty good grasp on that, as I'm sure all children who have been taught about God do, too. But, if this book is a child's first lesson in the Bible, there could be confusion.(I know! I'm being a bit picky there.)

Then there's the story of Ruth and Naomi AND the story of Esther. There's all kinds of information left out of those stories! To be fair, though, they are tough stories to summarize for a child. As is, though, it's impossible to grasp the beauty of those stories within this book.

Also, there was some information within the stories that was wrong. Those are stories I'll either skip or reword to be correct.

An example:

In the summary of The Ten Commandments, the author wrote that God told Moses to write down the ten commandments on stone. In truth, God wrote the commandments on the stone(Exodus 24:12, Exodus 31:18).

So, you'll have to be careful with this book, as with most all man written Bible summaries.

As always, in relation to Kregel's children's books, the pictures are adorable. They're bright and I will enjoy using them as visuals during Bible study time with my little ones. We have lots of cute options for Bible time on our shelves thanks to Kregel!

Overall, this is a cute book, but needs some added details I feel were left out, some extra explanations, and some wrong information changed. I liked many of the summaries, though!

*Thank you to Kregel Publications for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya. The big simplifications sometimes bug me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a big no-no for me when an author does not get the story right and changes the way the Bible states things, even if it is simplified.

    ReplyDelete