Thursday, December 26, 2013

The One Year My Princess Devotions: Preschool Edition by Karen Whiting



The One Year My Princess Devotions: Preschool Edition by Karen Whiting

Tyndale Kids (August 16, 2013) 400 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

It's a bit unusual to see a girly book at my blog, considering I have 3 boys. We did manage to get 2 nieces(both from my brother), while the rest of us had boys. (3 sons and 8 nephews) ;) This looked perfect for my oldest niece(4), though, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It's a very girly book! The cover even has the raised glittery parts to the picture. The pages are pink! Everything within this book is different shades of pink and purple, even the writing. There's ladybugs, flowers, and crowns surrounding each of the devotions. I imagine I would have been one excited little girl to have this as a child.

The book focuses some on outward beauty, as well as spiritual beauty. For that reason, I think some people won't like this book. It teaches little girls to take care of themselves physically, like brushing their hair and putting on sunscreen, and there's even one devotion that challenges the reader to practice walking gracefully(with good posture). As someone that's not so graceful, I think these kinds of things are important to learn as a child! If you want no kind of focus on outward appearance whatsoever, this probably won't be the best fit for your family.

The devotions teach little girls that they are special and God created them just the way He wanted. I think every little girl deserves to feel special and beautiful. It also challenges them with inner beauty, too, though!

Just to give you an idea of what to expect, here's an example of one of the devotions:

August 10

No More Tears

Royal Words
"[God] will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or sadness. There will be no more crying or pain. Things are no longer the way they used to be." Revelation 21:4

Princess Thoughts
God tell us that there will be no tears and no pain in heaven. That's good news. Our sad times and tears on earth can help us appreciate happier times.

A Prayer for the King
Father King, thanks for wiping away my tears and letting me know a little more about heaven.

Princess in Action
Make a card for someone who is sad or sick. Let the person know that God cares.

There's a devotion for each day of the year within this book(no extra day for leap year, in case that's something anyone is curious about). They are super short, BUT I think they are wonderful conversation starters. Plus, on those days that time is even shorter than normal, these won't take long at all, and you'll still get a little lesson in the day.

As with all devotional books, there were some of these that I liked more than others. If I had a little girl, I'd probably end up skipping some of them, or really adding to the lesson. Some of them seemed a little confusing. I wasn't sure exactly what the devotion was getting at.

Overall, though, I liked this book. If I had a little girl, I could see us having quite a bit of fun within these pages. So much, that it makes me a little sad that I don't have a little princess. That is, until I think about my 3 precious little knights, and I get over it. ;)

*Thank you to Tyndale House Publishers for sending me a review copy of this book, in exchange for my honest opinion!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of books that push outward beauty so this may not be for me but I loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt it was a great balance, as far as spiritual and physical beauty, BUT I definitely understand not wanting to push outward beauty. It really is hard to find that perfect balance. I grew up with very little self-esteem, and still struggle. Honestly, I don't have a clue where I'd stand if I had a little girl! ;)

      Delete