Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Greetings from the Flipside by Rene Gutteridge and Cheryl McKay



Greetings from the Flipside by Rene Gutteridge and Cheryl McKay

B&H Books (October 15, 2013) 320 pages

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I hadn't really planned on reading this book right now, but I saw a reviewer mention that this was the strangest book she'd read in a long time. Well, that was enough for me! Christian fiction doesn't tend to overly sway to the "odd" side very often, especially in the realistic(ish) realm. Being quite the odd person myself, I feel a strong pull towards books that dare to be weird.

Hope lives on the sarcastic side of life, and she feels the need to rewrite greeting cards. Who needs rainbows and butterflies all the time?! She thinks a nice, sarcastic touch of humor is just the thing needed to make it through the tough moments of life.

When Hope's fiancé doesn't show up on their wedding day, some unusual turn of events land Hope in a coma. From there, the story alternates between reality and "coma world". I think, especially at the beginning, the authors had a blast making the "flipside" as odd as possible. I kept laughing at how ridiculous it was. I loved it! ;) The great thing about it, for me, was the fact that they still keep everything realistic. As "out there" as everything is, it's still possible.

Hope's momma was the highlight of the story for me! Sometimes(mostly) I wanted to smack her upside the head, but other times, I liked her. Either way, she added a great deal of color to an already colorful story.

As the story progresses, the oddness wears thinner and thinner. The story becomes more and more emotional. At one point, I had chills run down my spine as tears flooded my vision. It turned into a sweet story, and one that I don't think I'll forget.

Overall, if you'd enjoy a walk in the weird side for a little while, I *highly* recommend you give this story a try!

*For anyone that has read this book: What was up with the cats?! Did I miss what their meaning was? This is the second book I've read in the past few months that left me wondering about the cats. (The Real Boy being the other read.)

**Thank you to B&H Publishing and Netgalley for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. This does sound cool. The far-fetched coma story line sounds really interesting. I like that it's Christian too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had fun reading your review, Bluerose! I'm beginning to see how you like odd books. Some of your reviews convince me to look at books I otherwise would probably ignore. That's what I love about my blogger friends!

    ReplyDelete