Sunday, November 24, 2013

Love's Refuge by Sandra Leesmith




Love's Refuge by Sandra Leesmith

Love's Refuge is temporarily on sale for only .99 in celebration of the tour!!!! Grab it while it's on sale! (Check price before buying, particularly if you're reading this much later than the post date).

Description:

Skye Larsen loves her peaceful life on Leeza Island in Puget Sound – the tranquility, the friendly neighbors, and especially the safety from big-city dangers. So when cruel pranks start to escalate and changes threaten to overtake the island, Skye is determined to fight for her haven. The presence of a handsome vacationer and the unexpected feelings he awakens can’t distract her from her goal.

Danny Fraser doesn’t realize how desperately he needs a rest until he meets Skye. By allowing him to glimpse her simple way of life, she helps him reorient his priorities – and steals his heart in the process. But his work and home in Seattle keep Skye at bay.

An isolated island girl with painful memories. A dedicated city boy with a wild past. What will it cost for them both to find a refuge from their storms?

Amber Press (November 9, 2013) 321 pages

My Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

Love's Refuge is one of those books I could easily see as a Hallmark movie. It's sweet and a little sappy at times, but still filled with pain and healing. Reading this book was so cozy, I just wanted to curl up on the couch and watch a sweet movie after finishing. But alas, with 3 little ones and a football loving hubby, the TV was not mine to watch. ;)

I related all too well to Skye's struggle to deal with the public. Her issues were due more to a traumatic past, and thankfully, I did *not* relate to that. I DO struggle with social phobia daily, though. It would be all too easy to hide away on an island with very few people, like Skye. The longer I'm away from the public, the harder it is to enter back. Skye has spent so long hiding away that her entries into the real world was a hard and slow process. I also understood all too well her realization of just how patient Danny was with her. It's only through God that Jonathan was/IS patient with me and my oddities. I understood her feelings of thinking Danny deserved and could do better when Skye's oddities were coming into play full force.

Despite the many issues happening around Skye, I still found this a relaxing read. The island that Skye lives on sounded like such a peaceful environment! With my chaotic life, I couldn't help but desire a tiny bit of that peace.

Overall, this is a sweet read! I enjoyed it!

*I was provided an e-copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

**Stay tuned for my review of The Price of Victory, also by Sandra, later this week!!






Sandra is giving away a KINDLE during her tour for Love's Refuge. Even better, it's loaded with her books! :)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

14 comments:

  1. Bluerose, sure enjoyed your comments about the story. It's in my TBR stack and I'm excited to get started on it soon.
    I can sure relate to what you shared here. We live at the end of a dead end road out in the country. I enjoy being with people but adore the tranquility here. It's a balancing act for sure.
    May the K9 Spy on the other paw, love wherever she is no matter what. I have a lot to learn from her! :)
    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a balancing act! I try to make sure I'm around people regularly, but I live in a semi private kind of place, which I enjoy.

      Mays 3rd adventure arrived at our house last week, and I can't wait to read it!! My oldest 2 really enjoyed showing off their May tattoos. ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm a bit of an introvert too. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an introvert through and through! ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your honest review. I am glad you enjoyed LOVE'S REFUGE and thank you for participating in the blog tour with us. Doing a blog tour and getting out there in social media is as tough for me as getting out in public is for you, KC and Juju. I like getting out there and talking to people. The Internet scares me to death. LOL

    Leeza Island is based on a real island in Puget Sound where I have had the wonderful pleasure of spending peaceful days with my aunt and uncle. They taught hubby and I to gather oysters and clams just like Skye teaches Danny. Lots of fun memories and I yearn for that peace often when I'm scrambling around here with chores. :)

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Sandra! I love Internet interactions, but sometimes get nervous about meeting new people and being at social events, etc. Thank you for sharing more about yourself and your story with us!

      ~Amber

      Delete
    2. The internet is still hard for me, too! People tend to be more cruel hidden behind a screen. So much, I've been tempted to give it up many times. ;) I've stuck around, though.

      Despite being vegetarian, I really enjoyed learning more about oyster and clam catching. I should have known you had some experience. Those parts were very educational. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the cover and the setting. I, too, have social anxiety disorder and tend to stay away from people as much as I can. I do say hi and can do small chit chat but never let anyone in to my private domain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cover, too!
      I understand all too well! It's a difficult disorder to live with!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful review, Bluerose! I appreciate how you made it personal, giving it more of an impact. I, too, can relate to fears in social settings... I tend to spend a lot of time in my room!

    Appreciate your participation in the tour, and looking forward to your review of The Price of Victory (which I haven't read yet)! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber!

      I'm kind of forced out of my room these days, whether I want to be or not. ;) I understand all too well, though!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it's good to read something sweet and sappy, if only to recoup from more dramatic reads although this one about fear of public adds to the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I adore reading something sweet and sappy occasionally. This time of year seems to make me crave them more. :)

      Delete
  7. I liked your description with the sweet and sappy...but with pain and healing. I wonder how I'd relate to Skye, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete