Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator



Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator


My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

It's been several weeks since I've read these books, but it's also been awhile since my last post, so I figure it's time for some review catch up! I DO have quite a few headed your way!

I knew that this book was actually the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I HAD to read it first, though. It was calling my name so strongly, I just couldn't seem to keep myself from it. After reading Carrie's review, I had *high* hopes for this book! (Plus, I knew the story of Charlie's adventure at the Chocolate Factory from the movies, so I didn't feel like I'd be missing information.)I am always on the lookout for the next book to add to my "wonderfully weird" list of books/authors. It's such a small list, and they're my favorites!

I was not disappointed! At all! I can officially add this book to my "wonderfully weird" list, and that just makes me happy. :D

I couldn't stop smiling while reading, except when I was laughing. I have somewhat of a childish sense of humor. I also find dry humor exceptionally funny. Roald seems to mix the two beautifully.

*I should clarify on the child humor. I despise the tendency to resort to such things as boogers and poo and talking dead rats(talking to you, Wayside Stories!)and such in an effort to make a child laugh. Those things lose me quick! (That said, I'm a mommy of 3 little boys. There's always stories of "poo" that I'll look back on with humor.) ;) Roald seems to avoid the "bodily humor" that I hate(at least in the 3 books I've read), which I greatly appreciate. Even so, he's still hilarious, and I think children will find his writing especially appealing.

My cousin asked recently for something to cheer her up, and I had to recommend this book. It IS simply ridiculous! Absolute nonsense! I'll do the same for you. Do you need a little cheering up? Read this book!

But!

As you read it, it's important to keep in mind the words of Mr. Willy Wonka(Roald Dahl).

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."




Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

As you may already know if you've been around here long, I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton! I'm drawn to reading things that he's drawn to, and obviously he felt a connection with Roald Dahl's writing. Now I can say that they are BOTH "wonderfully weird"(their writing/directing/etc talents, anyway)in my book! After reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I think Burton did an amazing job of *mostly* staying true to the book, except for the Willy Wonka childhood flashbacks. Admittedly, even I found this odd, and would have preferred the movie without it. What I remember of the older version, I don't think it stayed true to the book at all.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Burton movie version of this book, either way. Despite that, as I read it, I couldn't help but picture Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. He fits the character more, to me. I felt like I was betraying the Burton/Depp duo with this, though. It made me want to watch my favorite version. If only there was more time!

The book was cute and funny! Still, it's "odd" level was nowhere near what I expected from Dahl. It was on the same level as Matilda. I feel like he went all out with The Great Glass Elevator. THAT book earned a special place in my memory! This one was fun to read, though! I still really enjoyed it.

Probably the only thing that bugged me about these books is the fact of the age contradictions. In this book the grandparents are well over 90 years old. In the sequel, they range in age from 78-81(except Grandpa Joe, whose age wasn't given that I noticed). It drove me a little crazy that they were younger starting out in the sequel. Of course, if you've read the book, you know they get even younger.

Overall, my opinion of Roald's work is a pleasant one. I've made it a goal for myself to read at least one Roald book a month until I make my way through all of them. So far, my experience has been with 2 of the 3 books being based on movies that I at least somewhat knew the stories of. I'm excited to see what else has came from his imagination!

2 comments:

  1. I must read these some day. I really want to try the audios with my kiddo when she's older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I bet the audios will be fun!! :)

      Delete