Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root by Christopher Pennell(Illustrated by Rebecca Bond)



The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root by Christopher Pennell

My Rating: 4/5 stars

Quick Thoughts: This is a quirky, clever little story, with a fairy tale feeling. It kind of reminded me of Alice in Wonderland at times, which is what I'm now reading on my kindle. I liked it!

Full Thoughts:

It was the title of THIS 2 star review at Amazon that made me grab The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root, without a moment's hesitation! ("Bad" reviews aren't always such a bad thing, even if I didn't read the whole review!) Labeling a book "weird" is pretty much a sure way to get me to read it, though. I've found some of my favorite books that way.

This story starts out with us meeting Carly Bean Bitters. She can't sleep at night. It's utterly impossible. She can only sleep during the day, and staying awake is something she can barely control, and sometimes can't, when the morning arrives. She meets many animals and people throughout the book, but Lewis, a musician rat, is among the most influential to her. Most of the musician rats are being taken by the owls, which at one point loved to dance to the music the rats played. Carly is on a mission to find out why they've suddenly changed.

The griddlebeast is the "monster" of this story. He's a villain through and through, but he still manages to add a bit of humor.

I found the story imaginative and quirky, but not as "weird" as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong. There's plenty of oddness in here. It was enough that I greatly enjoyed reading it. In a couple of years, this will be a *perfect* read aloud to Grasshopper(5).

The story is magical, but it's subtle magic. I have to go back to Alice in Wonderland to describe it. I really don't want to say too much, because I think this is a wonderful book to let the reader figure out for themselves about certain aspects. I enjoyed getting to come to my own conclusions.

It's a quick read, and I flew through it. The pictures scattered throughout the whole story definitely added more pleasure to this reading adventure.

Overall, this is a wonderful little story for young readers! I highly recommend it!

*I was provided an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. We don't read much fantasy in our family but this one sounds like something my son might like. I'm always on the lookout for good MG books for boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magical aspect IS much slighter than in most fantasy. It might still be a good fit with y'all. :)

      Delete