Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Jungle Book By Rudyard Kipling

Reading to Know - Book Club



I read the free Kindle version, but I really like that particular cover.

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

It took great effort to finish this book, to be honest. It was much different than I expected. I really have no Disney connection with The Jungle Book. I haven't watched it, but I have saw the dancing bear, Baloo, singing the "Bear Necessities" song. When I first starting reading the book, and saw how the wolves adopted Mowgli, I kept wondering where on earth the gorillas were. It took far longer than I care to admit to finally realize I was thinking of Tarzan.

While I didn't really know anything about Baloo, other than the song, he was far different than I expected, considering he "beats and bruises" Mowgli. Endearing, huh?! I didn't care for the stories involving Mowgli. Kipling was really just too harsh for my tastes, I think! I realize we live in a harsh world, but when I escape into the world of fiction, I want happy thoughts! I'll save the little "real world" reading I do for non-fiction. It seemed that the animals were constantly being punished with kicks or slaps or beatings.

It wasn't ALL harsh, though. I didn't realize that The Jungle Book is really more like several short stories, songs, and poems, involving different characters. I did greatly enjoy the story of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. It was with this story that I actually thought the book might have a chance with me.

All of that said, I AM glad I read this book. In the end, I grew to appreciate what Kipling did with it. He's not my favorite author, and it did take effort, and I still don't overly like his writing, but I DO appreciate this book! That's more than I thought I'd be able to say starting out. Lord willing, I have full intentions of reading this book, along with Kipling's other works, with my boys in a few years!

Make sure you go read Sky's review. She was the host this month. Honestly, it was her review that made me push through and finish! I think it was her thoughts that gave me the appreciation of the book I was able to get. Plus, she quotes a Tim Burton movie, which just warmed my heart! ;)

4 comments:

  1. And that is when reading with others is so beneficial. Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't end up reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't say you greatly missed out or anything! ;) Still, I'm glad it's been marked off my "to read" list, and it wasn't horrible. Yes! Extra motivation is always nice in situations like this.

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to read him. Thanks for the review doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you like him! :)

      Delete