Monday, October 14, 2013

NIV Adventure Bible Book of Devotions by Robin Schmitt



Adventure Bible Book of Devotions, NIV: 365 Days of Adventure by Robin Schmitt

My Quick Thoughts: I've grown to love this devotional book! It's a *wonderful* tool to use with character studies.

My Full Thoughts:

This has proven to be a wonderful addition to our days! With Grasshopper(5) going to preschool right now, we're *learning* to use the time we have with him in the best way possible. It is a work in progress adjusting, though! This is a great devotional book to use with him just before school each day.

You may(or may not) remember that I'm not overly fond of the NIV of the Bible. This book *does* use the NIV throughout. That's the great thing about devotional books, though. There are so many options! Each devotional has 1 to 2 Bible verses included. I can easily read from the translation of my choice, since the verses are provided for me. It's never a bad thing for our children to see us reading from the actual Bible, after all. It *is* so handy that each verse is written out within the devotional, though. And, admittedly, I've taken advantage of its convenience more often than not. ;)

There are 365 devotions included in this book. Back to the options I mentioned earlier. If there's ever a devotional I(or you) don't like....we can skip it. We haven't made our way completely through all of the devotions just yet, but so far, I've been *very* pleased. You can use these devotions in many ways. They are dated, so you can use one for each day of the year. There's also a couple of indexes, so you can also study them by subject/verses.

The "Contents" section lists each and every devotional title by month and day. The devotional itself starts with a Bible verse. Then there's a story to help your child put the lesson into modern day/everyday context. After that, there's a "lesson". The ending varies by day. It might be another Bible verse, or a trivia fact from Bible times, a definition, or a challenge, etc. At the end of the book, there's a topic index(alphabetical order) and a Scripture index(Biblical order).

As I read through many of them, and looked through the indexes, I realized what a wonderful tool this book is in connection with character/virtue studies. We recently created a "morning board" and included a "character study" portion. This book is a *perfect* addition. There's also many other wonderful lessons included, though.

Overall, this is a great devotional for little ones. The recommended age is for 9-12 year olds, but in general, I think younger ones can greatly benefit from them, too. It a great, *quick* way of getting a little Bible lesson into the day when time is short. Of course, I think we could ALL use more time in our days! ;)

*A huge "Thank you" to Charleen at DJC Communications and Zondervan for sending me a review copy in exchange for my *honest* opinion! We've enjoyed our time in it!

1 comment: