Saturday, October 5, 2013

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie



The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie

My Rating: 5/5 stars

Short and Sweet Thoughts:

I think I have a new favorite author on my hands. I loved this mystery and can't wait to read more!

Full Thoughts:

When the Vicar finds a dead body in his study, the search for the killer begins.

Growing up, when I heard the name Agatha Christie, I thought of those cheap, trashy romances. I don't know why! It wasn't until more recent years that I realized she was actually a mystery writer and a Classic author. The urge to read a great mystery, along with Juju's mention of Miss Marple gave me just the push I needed to crack open this one. Oh, how I loved it! I can easily see why Christie was put in the hall of Classics, unlike some Classics I read in bafflement. She knows how to weave a mystery plot, I tell you!

This is the first book in which Miss Marple makes her appearance. Her role was much different than I expected. Instead of front and center, she's doing her solving as a secondary character, in the background, which is just how she prefers it! It's obvious she's still important, though. Murder at the Vicarage is told from the point of view of the Vicar. One particular sermon he gives provided a few laughs! There was actually random bits of humor throughout that only endeared me to the book more. The Vicar's wife, Griselda, as annoying as she was, was actually quite humorous, too!

Throughout the whole story, I had my murderer picked out, and was feeling a little proud that I already knew who he/she was. I was wrong! ;) Reading this story, you will be provided with plenty of suspects from which to pick from, but good luck picking correctly! It's a very "cozy" mystery. I lost no sleep and suffered no nightmares during its reading. If I can say that, I think just about anybody else could, too!

I always feel so unqualified to say anything at all about Classics. I will say, though, I can now highly recommend you give this one a try. My hands are itching to get ahold of the next one, The Body in the Library. It looks like an order from Abebooks at some point, since my library doesn't have it!

Content: Mild profanity

5 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! I'm so glad you liked it. I want to try this one next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading it, I saw that many think this was far from her best. That makes me really excited to try more!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout out btw.

    PS I always guess the murderer wrong too. But I looove trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thank you for the motivation to finally read it! :)

      Delete
  3. The last time I read an Agatha Christie book was years ago, but I remember really liking it!

    ReplyDelete