Friday, October 18, 2013

Flora and Ulysses by Kate Dicamillo



Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate Dicamillo


My Rating: 4/5 stars

Quick Thoughts: It's not what I was expecting. AT ALL. It ended up being a cute little story, though!

Full Thoughts:

As I was thinking through all of my "odd potential" books this month, I thought this one was somewhat of a black sheep. Of course, as usual, I hadn't really read the description. I grabbed this one purely based on the author. She has a great reputation around the reading world and Grasshopper is really enjoying her Mercy Watson books. Odd potential, though? I didn't see it.

Be prepared for an odd little read when you pick this one up! It fit perfectly with my reading goals this month!

I really don't want to give you a description at all! I want you to pick this one up without knowing a thing about it, like me, and just let the story unfold, one little strange moment at a time.

I will tell you this much, though. Flora is a cynic. She enjoys reading comic books. She's quirky, and I liked her! She's the opposite from me in many ways, but she's a unique person trying to make the best of her situation. She meets a squirrel, and the adventure begins!

The story is mostly told in very short chapters, but occasionally we get to read parts of the story in comic book form, which I thought was fun! (And clever, considering how much comic books mean to Flora.)

There's lots of discussion/lesson potential in this book, so bonus points from a parent's point of view. It's just plain fun, so bonus points from a child's point of view, too. Honestly, I was expecting something completely different from it. I don't think that everyone will be able to appreciate it. I can easily appreciate a "weird" book, but even this one wasn't my favorite. I DID enjoy it, though! I guess I was just expecting more, considering the high praise that always follows Dicamillo's name.

Overall, it's cute! And odd!

*I was provided an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

6 comments:

  1. She has surprised me, too, in the past! I'm adding this to my list. Did you do it as a read aloud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, on the read aloud. It's still a little too much for Grasshopper right now. I randomly picked up the first 3 books in her Mercy Watson series for 25 cents each, and didn't have a clue they'd go over so well with him. They're much younger, though. I DO plan on keeping this as a future read aloud!

      Delete
  2. Awww this looks adorable! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute and odd...mmmm...this could work for my son, but I'm not sure. His reading preferences are changing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! You and your odd books . . .

    Think I'd like this one?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      I don't know! Of all the people I've met in blogging, you're the hardest to decide if I think you would like a book or not. I'm leaning towards no, though. ?

      Delete