Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Truth Seekers: The Machine by Bill Myers



The Machine: A Truth Seekers Novel

B&H Publishing Group (September 1, 2013) 243 pages

Jake and Jennifer are twins. (I think I recall them only being 12, but I couldn't find it when I tried to look back through the story)Their mom died several months back, and now their dad, who hasn't been around enough to form a decent relationship with his children, invites them to Israel. He's in the middle of a breakthrough invention that will allow them to see events in the past.

The chapters change up between Jake and Jennifer. They're somewhat like diary entries. There's a great deal of humor that a younger person might like. There's also some family bonding attempts.

Jennifer is struggling with "visions" and a lack of faith in God. I thought the "visions" were kind of weird. (The kind of weird I'm not so fond of.) I thought this book sounded interesting with the time travel aspect, but it's definitely written for the younger middle grade crowd. As an adult, it wasn't a favorite of mine. It just felt young. There's nothing wrong with that, exactly, but I'll probably just pass it on to one of my nephews. I do think they will enjoy it.


Overall, it will probably be greatly enjoyed by its target age.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. This sounded good to me until you mentioned the visions. I generally like time travel books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one does sound like it would have great potential -- and it also sounds very young. As you say, that's not such a bad thing. But I would rather not read it for myself in that case. Hopefully your nephews will indeed enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one does sound like it would have great potential -- and it also sounds very young. As you say, that's not such a bad thing. But I would rather not read it for myself in that case. Hopefully your nephews will indeed enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete