Friday, September 20, 2013

The Action Bible Devotional and Handbook




The Action Bible Devotional: 52 Weeks of God-Inspired Adventure by Sergio Cariello and Jeremy V. Jones

David C. Cook (September 1, 2012) 336 pages

My Rating: 5/5 stars

Let me just tell you right off the bat that I loved these books so much, I've already ordered The Action Bible! My hands are just itching in excitement to get a hold of it. ;)

This book is set up as a 52 week study. It's most recommended for 8-13 years olds, and I agree, but I still think it could help older children, too. It's great for a boy OR girl, but I do think boys will connect with it more. The devotions for each week include a summary of a Bible event, in comic book style. It always included what book and chapter(s) the story is taken from. There's a "Key Verse", an "X-Ray Vision" section, which is a lesson that can be taken from the story. There's a "Your Mission" section, which includes challenges for the reader. "Your Debrief" asks some questions that will get the reader thinking. "Mission Accomplished" makes the reader think about what he/she has taken way from that week's lesson. Some lessons include a section to encourage reaching out in some way or a section to draw and/or write. It's part devotional and part journal. You could easily use this as a family book and pass along to each person with a notebook to write in OR actually use it as an individual study/journal/diary.

The devotional part is written by Jeremy V. Jones. I recognize his name AND his writing style from the Triple Dog Dare: One Year of Dynamic Devotions for Boys. I passed that devotional on to one of my nephews.

Is every story in this book perfect? No, of course not! Nothing written by man is, and I do *not* recommend letting the stories in this book replace, in any way, God's inspired written Word! As a supplement to reading THE Bible, I think this is an **amazing** study tool! I truly think that's what it was developed for...a study tool. So many people out there are visual learners, and this is a wonderful gateway to help those people understand many events from The Bible. As I read through this devotional, I gained a better understanding of many of those events. There were things that I didn't remember, and I would go back to the original story in The Bible and refresh my memory. There were stories that I didn't overly like the rephrasing or interpretation. As with ALL Bible related books written by man, just use your Bible knowledge and best judgement to know what to leave and what to take. I have a pretty low tolerance for changes made to Bible events, and I still feel perfectly safe recommending this book to you.

Overall, this gets a *highly* recommended from me!





The Action Bible Handbook: A Dictionary of People, Places, and Things

David C. Cook; Reprint edition (March 1, 2013) 224 pages

My Rating: 5/5 stars

This handbook is also a *wonderful* Bible study tool to have! As the title suggests, it is a dictionary of people, places, and things. Everything is listed in alphabetical order. There's even brief summaries of books of the Bible(added into the alphabetical order listings). There are pictures from The Action Bible throughout the book. My favorite part is at the end of each definition/summary, it tells you exactly where to find that object/person both in The Action Bible and THE Bible.

I'll say the same thing about this book as I did The Devotional Book. Use your best judgement and Bible knowledge.

I really can't say enough about these books, though! I'm thrilled to have them on our shelves, and they are already proving to be great Bible study tools. I can't wait for The Action Bible to get here! It will be another great supplement to use in teaching the boys events from The Bible.

*A huge "Thank You" to Karen at David C. Cook for providing me with copies of both books! We have loved them!






1 comment:

  1. OOO! I've been wondering about a devotional for M. These both sound really good! Thank you for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete