Monday, September 9, 2013

Sword Study: A Family Centered Bible Study on II Timothy for Each Age Level by Tammy McMahan




*Before I start this review, let me make it clear that I have not read through each and every page. I was provided a book for each age level(5 in all). I haven't had them but a few weeks. This is designed as a 10 week study, so I haven't had time to read through everything. My review is based on what I have read, and from scanning through the different levels.

**Also, let me point out that this series is written by a woman, and is designed for a husband and/or wife to lead his/her family in study. I hold pretty conservative views on women teaching men, including written form,(I Timothy 2:12-14), so I can't recommend this study for men in any form. That still leaves a HUGE target audience for it, though. Of course, as always, you can take or leave that. ;) Y'all are used to me by now.

**********************************

This is a *deep* study of II Timothy. From what I've seen so far, I have to say it looks like an amazing study. I'm looking forward to completing the whole thing, because I *know* my mind will be wiser concerning II Timothy when I'm finished.

Level 1 is designed for 4 to 7 year olds. In my opinion, this one is a little on the young side. *With help*, I think it would be perfectly fine to use with a mature 2 year old. I also think that a mature 6 year old and most 7 year olds would be fine to move to Level 2. Of course, that's just my opinion! Level 1 is mostly coloring pages, with some of them having an activity, like matching. There's Bible verses to read and learn and memorize, along with some discussion. Of course, if done in a group setting, your little one will be hearing and learning from all of the more mature discussion happening at the same time.

Level 2 is designed for 7 to 10 year olds. Level 3 is for 11 to 14 year olds. Level 4 is a teen/adult study, and Level 5 combines the adult study of Level 4 with the guidance needed to lead the study for all the levels.

As you would expect, with each level, the study goes deeper. There becomes more reading and writing. Within this study, there is a *wonderful* lesson in how we should pray! There's lessons on the original Greek words. There's a map to help put the land of that time into context. Again, it is a *deep* study! From what I read of it so far, I honestly can't say enough about it. I passed the Level 4 book to my momma to get her opinion on it, and she's in agreement with me, in that it looks like a wonderful study.

I truly think that it would be more beneficial for each family member to have their own level and book. But, if budget is an issue, simply getting Level 5 would still provide a wonderful Bible study! There's supposed to be a new study coming out each year, with I Peter coming out this fall. Based on what I've seen so far, I won't hesitate to get the Level 4 or 5 book for my own personal study.

I know that this post is mostly me introducing this study to you, as opposed to truly reviewing it, but so far, I highly recommend it for women and children!

*I was provided review copies of all 5 levels from Glass Road Media in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sword Study: II Timothy (Level 1)

Sword Study: II Timothy (Level 2)

Sword Study: II Timothy (Level 3)

(I couldn't find Level 4 at the moment).

Sword Study: II Timothy (Level 5)

You can also go to the Sword Study website to get more information and see samples.

3 comments:

  1. I got totally wrapped up in the fact that you have convictions about women teaching men. I struggle with it (in written form) but I have a very strong opinion about in person. But you are more logically consistent and I got a thrill in reading that you have a conviction and you stand by it. It makes me care to hear your thoughts and opinions because you know what you believe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even being convicted so strongly about it, it's really hard in written form! It's impossible to write something and a man NOT read it in some way or another, especially on the internet. I struggle with what I write sometimes, although I'm not usually teaching(except when Bible verses are listed). I've really debated how to go about it. :S

      Delete
  2. I got totally wrapped up in the fact that you have convictions about women teaching men. I struggle with it (in written form) but I have a very strong opinion about in person. But you are more logically consistent and I got a thrill in reading that you have a conviction and you stand by it. It makes me care to hear your thoughts and opinions because you know what you believe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete