Friday, September 13, 2013

Matilda by Roald Dahl



Matilda by Roald Dahl

I just learned that today is Roald Dahl Day(through this post @Reading to Know)! How fun! I read Matilda a few months back, but I've been hanging on to this post in hopes that I could watch the movie and do a combination post. While I've tried several times, and I have seen a good bit of it, watching the whole thing just isn't happening right now. I will say it looks as though they stayed true to the book in the movie. There's some extra parts thrown in, but it keeps the dark, yet humorous quality of the book. And, they seriously couldn't have done better with the casting of The Trunchbull!

I figured what better day than today to get it on up, though!

Matilda is a 5 year old girl. She's also a genius, and loves to read. Among her favorites is Charles Dickens. Her parents are mean and dishonest, but she learns to get her revenge through humorous ways. Most of the story takes place after Matilda starts going to school, where she meets the horrible Trunchbull and the sweet Miss Honey.

Since Tim Burton seems to be so drawn to Dahl, I couldn't help but want to check out his writing! I was by no means disappointed in the story itself, but I was hoping for more of a "wonderfully weird" kind of read. From what I've heard, I have plenty of opportunities with his other books. Just Tuesday, I finally made it to the library and got Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I hear the last one just might be the "wonderfully weird" I'm hoping for.

I kept thinking as I read that I shouldn't like a story so much where a child is getting revenge on authority figures. I liked it, though. Those authority figures are pretty horrible and Matilda is still portrayed as a respectful child, overall. I always like a book that gives me encouragement to get in the Classics, and this one definitely does just that. (Of course, I had to wipe out the stack of review books I'd collected first, but I'm on the right track now.)

Matilda ended up being a fun, humorous read, and I'm glad I spent the time in it! It provided lots of snickers. I'm now greatly looking forward to reading the rest of Dahl's books!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds darling. I liked the movie. I can't wait to explore this author more with my kiddo some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Matilda the book and film (though there is a pretty big difference at the end). You're in for a treat with all these Dahl books. I personally adore The BFG if you're looking for something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library doesn't have The BFG, but I'm determined to get a copy in my hands! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm kinda curious about this. However, I've got James and the Giant Peach up next. You might INDEED find The Glass Elevator to be "wonderfully weird." ;D Even though I thought it was a bit much, I'm not giving up on Dahl. I just think I'm going to be picky among his books just like I'm picky among Funke books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have James and the Giant Peach on my shelf. I may try it next(after the Charlie books). My library doesn't have The BFG, but I want to get a hold of it soon, too.

      Delete
  4. I'm kinda curious about this. However, I've got James and the Giant Peach up next. You might INDEED find The Glass Elevator to be "wonderfully weird." ;D Even though I thought it was a bit much, I'm not giving up on Dahl. I just think I'm going to be picky among his books just like I'm picky among Funke books.

    ReplyDelete