Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Candy and the Cankersaur by Jason Sandberg




Candy and the Cankersaur by Jason Sandberg

You have to smile a little bit at the title! ;) Candy is a young girl who doesn't get the attention she needs from her busy father. Instead of giving his time to her, he gives *things* to her, and attempts to buy her love. His latest gift is a rare Cankersaurus Rex that needs a bit of training. When Candy's neighbor, Chucky, gets jealous, he causes some problems for all of them.

Although I make sure there's always a healthy supply of "real" books around our home, I like to occasionally add books to my kindle for the boys to enjoy. It certainly makes things much easier for those out of town trips! Candy and the Cankersaur is one of the latest editions we've added to our electronic library, and it's made quite an impression on my boys, especially Grasshopper(4). Most days he asks for me to read the "dinosaur book" to him.

My favorite part of this book was the pictures. They have an old fashioned feel to them. It reminds me of Saturday morning cartoons way back in my childhood days. I like all the lessons that are added in, too. While there's quite a few that can be taken away, I especially like the lesson in biting. We teach our kids not to bite. It's a constant struggle these days with Firefly(2). He gets disciplined every time he does it, with a strong lesson not to do it again. Too often in that lesson, we fail to mention that there are rare circumstances that biting IS okay. I've failed to teach them that if a stranger tries to hurt them or take them somewhere, BITE! Kick and scream! There just aren't many books out there that teach(and remind us as parents) to teach those kinds of lessons, and I appreciate that this book fills that much needed slot in the world of books.

If you're looking for a book that encourages discussion with your young children, this is a perfect choice! We've enjoyed it!

To read more about Jason Sandberg's books, take a look at his website, Jason Sandberg E-books.

*I was provided a PDF copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.



1 comment:

  1. You're right about the illustrations. On the cover, it looks like Dino, Fred Flintstone's pet dinosaur!

    ReplyDelete