Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Classic Candle Bible



The Candle Classic Bible


Candle Books (July 1, 2013) 256 pages

My Thoughts:

*Let me start out by saying that I have *not* read through this whole book yet. My impression is great so far, but if I come across anything I dislike or disagree with in the future, Lord willing, I *will* let you know.

The first thing I noticed when this book arrived is the pictures. They are somewhat realistic looking without actually being real. I have quite a few children's Bibles at our house, but most of them have childish cartoon pictures. I don't think there's anything wrong with that(at all), but I've recently been made aware of how important pictures can be to help children *know* that the contents of the Bible really happened(along with me teaching them that, of course!). I think the pictures within this book are beautiful and realistic, without being *too* harsh.

The stories are summarized, with the book and chapter it is contained in listed beforehand. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John have many of the same contents, just from a different point of view. This book collects the same story from each of those books and condenses it to one. For example, there is one story titled, "The Disciples See Jesus Alive". Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20 are all listed as "inspiration" for that particular story summary.

Since there are 365 stories, this book has many that aren't so common in children's books. They are written with an older child in mind, though. My 2 oldest are 4 and 2. Some of these stories are a little too mature for them. Their Bible study materials for this year arrived yesterday, and I plan on using this book as a supplement during their study. I will just preview as I go to see if there's anything I feel is too mature for them.

Overall, I really like it! As the title says, it has a classic feel to it, and even has a ribbon bookmark attached.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment: