Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Simply Delicious Amish Cooking by Sherry Gore



Simply Delicious Amish Cooking: Recipes and stories from the Amish of Sarasota, Florida (Pinecraft Collection, The) by Sherry Gore

Description:

Unbeknownst to many folks outside the Amish Mennonite population in America, Pinecraft, Florida - a village tucked away in the heart of Sarasota - is the vacation paradise of the Plain People. Unlike any other Plain community in the world, this village is a virtual melting pot of Amish and Mennonites from around the world, intermingled with people, like author Sherry Gore’s family, who live there year-round.

Gore has put together a cookbook that represents the people who make Pinecraft unique. With hundreds of easy-to-prepare recipes, 16 full-color photographs and black-and-white photographs throughout, this cookbook includes traditional favorites such as Sweet Potato Sweet Mash and Mrs. Byler’s Glazed Donuts, as well as Florida favorites including Fried Alligator Nuggets, Grilled Lime Fish Fillets, and Strawberry Mango Smoothies. Interspersed with the recipes are true-life stories about births, engagements, weddings, deaths, funerals, celebrations, wildlife encounters, and accidents told through years of Sherry’s Letters from Home column published in The Budget, the Amish newspaper. This delightful cookbook offers readers a faith-based, family-focused perspective of the simple way of life of the Plain People. It is truly a breath of fresh air from Sarasota, Florida!

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I just love this cookbook! Most of the cookbooks that come into my home end up being given away. I require *super simple* recipes! I don't overly enjoy cooking, but I do want to give my family a nutritious meal that didn't take me hours to cook, and then hours to clean up. I'd rather read! ;) I need recipes that don't require lots of ingredients that I'll probably only use for one recipe. I want ingredients that are in lots of recipes I like, so there's a better chance I won't end up throwing them out and wasting money.

I had been doing a pretty decent job of removing processed foods from our home(not completely!) before discovering little Bumblebee was on his way. Suffering from the sickness and exhaustion that comes with pregnancy, I allowed processed food to take over. I *strongly* desire to remove them from our home again. This cookbook has proved a perfect fit with me. If you're like me on the cooking issue, this is a perfect cookbook for you to try, too! It'd also make an awesome wedding gift, because there's lots of recipes for those basic, "need to know" kinds of foods, like breads, simple fried chicken, cakes, basic frosting, shortcake for strawberries, etc.



If you've read anything about the Amish at all, I'm sure you've heard of Whoopie Pies. Of course, there's a recipe for those, too, which I'm hoping to try soon. I've been curious about those for quite some time!

I like that this cookbook is spiral bound(the bound part is covered by the paper cover, though). It lays flat as I look through it, and that always pleases me! :)

The negative part is the lack of pictures. There are a few pages of pictures in the center of the book, but for the most part, recipes don't have pictures with them. I like the rest of the book so much, though, that I'm perfectly okay with that!

If you want simple recipes, with simple ingredients, give this one a try.

*I was provided a review copy through Booksneeze in exchange for my honest opinion.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious and interesting. I want this cookbook. Plus, I kinda want to visit this town now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! (on the visiting part) I've got to find an Amish event near me to go to soon! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm working on removing processed foods too from my family's diet. So glad this book came at the right time for you. Simple recipes are the best, especially for busy moms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The quicker I can get in and out of the kitchen, the happier I am. :)

      Delete
  3. Just a recommendation...when making whoopie pies, you do NOT need a whoopie pie pan. It only makes 3 cookies (6 halves)...just do your best to make them the same size.

    (I have never made them myself, but have helped my MIL. Derek's grandma also makes them. We definitely prefer their recipe to the Amish ones we've purchased locally...once. But it's preference.)

    I just recently started making my own ranch! :) One more processed food out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation! You'll have to share the recipe you like best! ;) And, that ranch recipe!! Thanks to your recipe sharing, I use ranch ALL the time now. Jonathan loves it with his chicken and pork chops. I even made some of the ranch chicken for my parents last week and they loved it. You've really helped my mission to less processed foods! ;)

      Delete