Monday, July 22, 2013

I Am a Church Member: Discovering the Attitude that Makes the Difference by Thom S. Rainer



I Am a Church Member: Discovering the Attitude that Makes the Difference by Thom S. Rainer

My Thoughts:

I had been debating whether to read this one or not, but then I saw Carrie's review, and decided to go for it. I'm glad I did!

For such a short book(79 pages), it's a pretty powerful one. The main point of the book is to stress the importance of keeping a Christian attitude towards the church. As much as I hate to admit, I don't always have the best attitude. I think we can all say that! We're all selfish, imperfect beings. This was a book I needed to read, though.

"Each local church is made up of imperfect members and imperfect pastors. We will make mistakes. We will all sin. Yes, we are all hypocrites."

The main points covered(by use of chapter titles)in this book are:

I Will Be a Functioning Church Member
I Will Be a Unifying Church Member
I Will Not Let My Church Be about My Preferences and Desires
I Will Pray for My Church Leaders
I Will Lead My Family to Be Healthy Church Members
I Will Treasure Church Membership as a Gift

Each chapter ends with a pledge that you can commit to concerning what you've just read.

I think the overall summary of the book is to make sure we are serving our church and its members, and not expecting to be served. Instead of nitpicking and gossiping about every little thing that doesn't go our way, pray and encourage. Serve!

"We are not to love fellow church members just because they are lovable. We are to love the unlovable as well. We are not to pray for and encourage our pastors just when they are doing things we like. We are to pray for and encourage them when they do things we don't like. We are not to serve the church only when others are joining in. We are to serve the church even if we are alone doing so."

(Of course, I think it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: If your church or pastor is doing something that goes against God's Word, then still pray and encourage, but don't support at that point. The author emphasizes expecting *our* preferences is sinful.)

Overall, this is a *quick* read, and one that is highly needed. Therefore, I *highly* recommend you grab a copy!

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment