Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dragonwitch by Anne Elisabeth Stengl



Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood) by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

It's a wonderful feeling to close a book's final page with a blissful sigh. The only thing better is when that blissful sigh also escapes as I crack *open* its pages. That feeling of nothing but pure excitement knowing that I'm *finally* getting my chance to step into the land of Goldstone Wood again just can't be beat. My anticipation for this lovely novel was proved worthy, and I enjoyed every minute of my too brief visit.

It was an amazing privilege to find myself once again in the land of Goldstone Wood, where there's always a new adventure to be found, and new secrets to be discovered; where time is of no matter. One minute we might be in present time, the next minute, we've stepped back in time hundreds of years. There's always unexpected twists and turns and exciting new adventures in the land of Goldstone Wood, with many paths leading to unknown lands. In this land, the "happily ever afters" aren't always as happy as we would expect; love and beauty isn't always beautiful.

Dragonwitch is the first novel in this series where a villain gets put front and center. It was interesting to see the pain the Dragonwitch endured before becoming the evil being that she chose. She's mentioned quite a bit in the previous novels, especially in Starflower, so I enjoyed learning more about her past life.

I was even more excited to read about my old favorites, though. Eanrin and Imraldera are the two that have stolen my heart the most from this series, and it's always with great sadness that I have to leave them yet again as I close the final pages. It's also with great joy that I know as I re-read these books, there's always going to be something new springing off the pages that I didn't notice through the previous read. This series, more so than any other fictional book on my shelves is worthy of being read over and over again!

We also get to meet new characters in Dragonwitch. The Chronicler is destined for great things, if only he could find his courage and believe outward appearances don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Leta struggles when to listen to her practical side and when to let her true self shine. Mouse shows up unexpectedly, looking like a street urchin, but all isn't what it seems. And then there's Alistair. He's suddenly shocked when the life he's had laid before him his whole life disappears from his sight. With many more characters, old and new, filling the pages, there's not a chance of finding a moment of boredom in this gorgeous tale.

It will be a sad day, indeed, if I ever learn there will be a "last" book in this series! While I'm typically not a fan of a long series, I don't want these adventures to end.

*I was provided a copy of this book for review. (Don't let that deter you! The last two books of this series were pre-ordered.)

**When I heard that I had to wait until Spring 2014 to read the next book Shadowhand, I was a little disappointed. It made my day to learn that there's going to be a Tales of Goldstone Wood novella this winter, titled The Goddess Tithe!!!! :D Needless to say, I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment