Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Summer of Sundays by Lindsay Eland



A Summer of Sundays by Lindsay Eland

EgmontUSA (July 9, 2013) 336 pages

My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Summer Fowler is the third of six children. With two older sisters who don't exactly connect with their younger sister, and three younger brothers, she feels a little left out more often than not. When her family helps her dad fix up an old library over the summer, she decides it's time to stand out, so she's never forgotten again.

I'm a middle child myself, although I only have one older sister and a younger brother. I never really connected with either one of them growing up. They'd say the same! I *should* have connected with Summer more than I did, but unfortunately, I found her overly whiny. She was *looking* for reasons to claim she was left out. If a child can claim a parent doesn't care simply for calling him/her the wrong name occasionally, I guess I'm a bad mother! ;) Summer's family was great! It was clear they loved her, and they were a fun, caring set of parents. There was the one incident that seemed a little "out there", in my opinion. While stopped at a gas station, her family leaves without her. Two hours later, they come rolling back in the parking lot, not because they realized they'd forgotten Sunday, but because they drove an hour in the wrong direction, and one of the others had to use the restroom. Yeah, that's pretty horrible parenting! They were great parents otherwise. I wanted to tell Sunday to read Matilda, and then she might think otherwise about her parents.

Other than the times Sunday was whining about being left out, this is a cute story, though! There's lots of references made to books. The "mystery" in A Summer of Sundays is a big shout out to To Kill a Mockingbird/Harper Lee and The Secret Garden. Sunday reads a great deal and that definitely warmed me to her. Plus, the library is a big part of the book. Who doesn't love an old library in their books?!

It's not too long in the story before Sunday meets a new friend, Jude. He adds a little excitement to her summer. Or maybe she adds a little excitement to his summer! It takes some bribery to get him to spend the night at the cemetery! I thought he was a fun addition to the story. I couldn't help but picture Robert Capron(Diary of a Wimpy Kid) as Jude and Joey King(Ramona and Beezus) as Sunday.

It took me a little while to really like this story, but in the end, I think it's a great summer read for tweens!

*I was provided an e-ARC through Netgalley.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm...don't know if my daughter would like this one. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really great to me. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete