Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Paperboy by Vince Vawter



Paperboy by Vince Vawter

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Paperboy is the story of "Little Man". He lives with a stutter and uses a typewriter to express his thoughts. He doesn't like commas, and refuses to use them. When his friend "Rat" leaves for part of the summer, Little Man takes over his route. His biggest worry is when he has to talk to the customers on payday. He's learned many tricks to help him talk better and he does his best to work around his words. He meets several people on his route that open up his world.

This book reminded me a little of Twerp, which I read not too long ago. I really enjoy "coming of age" stories like that, so it was a pleasant surprise. Paperboy is actually a large part memoir. Knowing that automatically warms me to the book more! I've also saw Paperboy compared The Help, except for a younger crowd. I haven't read The Help(don't intend to), but I can definitely see how the comparison would fit from the little part of the movie I watched.

It takes place in 1959, when segregation is still happening. "Mam" works for his family, and helps take care of Little Man in a variety of ways. He uses up quite a few words on her, since he loves her so much.

Overall, this was an entertaining "coming of age" story that will either open your mind to the world of stuttering or offer some encouragement for those dealing with it.

Content:

Despite enjoying "coming of age" stories, unfortunately, there's typically a price to be paid for them.

There is mild profanity throughout(about 4 words, best I remember). (Y'all already know how much I detest that issue in children's fiction, so I'll try not to harp on it too much more). There's also violence, which includes a fight in a bar and a stabbing. There's different little parts that seem like it was written for the adults reading the book. I would hope some things would go over the intended age group's heads.

Due to those issues, I recommend this for older/more mature readers.

*I was provided an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I would have liked to read this with my 9 year-old but maybe I'll wait a little. The story sounds very good and I think he'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great story, and I think y'all would enjoy it! Maybe with a little editing? If you were reading it to him, those parts could easily be left out, I think.

      Delete