Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gannon and Wyatt Series by Patti Wheeler and Keith Hemstreet



In the tradition of the historic journals kept by explorers such as Lewis and Clark, Dr. David Livingstone, and Captain James Cook, comes the fictional adventure book series Travels with Gannon and Wyatt. From Africa to the South Pacific, these twin brothers have traveled to all corners of the globe. The journals, photographs and video compiled on their real-life expeditions provide the foundation for this action-packed educational series.


Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Botswana

Greenleaf Book Group Press (May 28, 2013) 160 pages


When Gannon and Wyatt arrive in Botswana for an African safari, they find themselves tangled up in much more than a family vacation. After receiving word that a poacher has shot and wounded a lioness, they set off into the wild in the hopes of saving the mother and her cubs before the poacher finishes the job. While on this amazing journey, they encounter Africa's Big Five--elephants, rhinos, cape buffaloes, leopards, and lions--only to discover that the most dangerous predator in the African bush is not the king of beasts, but man himself. In the tradition of the historic journals kept by explorers such as Lewis and Clark, Dr. David Livingstone, and

Captain James Cook comes the adventure series Travels with Gannon and Wyatt. From Africa to the South Pacific, these twin brothers have traveled the world. You never know what they will encounter as they venture into the wild, but one thing is certain--wherever Gannon and Wyatt go, adventure is their constant companion.

Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Great Bear Rainforest

Greenleaf Book Group Press (October 1, 2013) 192 pages

Gannon and Wyatt can't wait to trek into the Great Bear Rainforest in search of the mythical spirit bear, but surviving in this unforgiving wilderness proves more challenging than they could have ever imagined. When members of the expedition go missing, the brothers bravely set out on a search-and-rescue mission. Soon they find themselves lost in a forest teeming with grizzlies, wolves and mysterious gunmen. Guided by the wisdom of the First Nation people, Gannon and Wyatt uncover a sinister plot and must risk everything to save those who are missing and restore balance to the Great Bear.

In the tradition of the historic journals kept by explorers such as Lewis and Clark, Dr. David Livingstone, and Captain James Cook comes the adventure series Travels with Gannon and Wyatt. From Africa to the South Pacific, these twin brothers have traveled the world. You never know what they will encounter as they venture into the wild, but one thing is certain--wherever Gannon and Wyatt go, adventure is their constant companion.

**I read both of these books before writing any of my thoughts down, so I decided to just do a combination post for both of them. My thoughts were pretty similar for both books.

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I can't imagine a young person out there, especially young men, that wouldn't love this series of books! *I* already wish that the next book was out, so I could read it, too. These books provided me with such a wonderful learning experience. I learned about new places and even cultures of those lands. They are packed full of adventure and wildlife. I learned about some of the dangers that threaten those parts of the world.

The most amazing part of these books is the fact that Gannon and Wyatt are two real young men that have traveled to these places. The adventures are *loosely* based on their experiences. I don't imagine they'd be traveling quite as much if they were held at gunpoint and came so close to death everywhere they went. If you'd like to read more about Gannon and Wyatt, you can check out their website, Travels With Gannon and Wyatt. I found it pretty fun to peek around over there after reading both of the books. I felt like I was putting more of a face with the stories.

There's journaling pages at the end of the book, so your child can record their own adventures and notes. There's even maps at the end, too. I'm a huge sucker for book maps! I imagine these books would give young people a hunger for adventure and travel. It never hurts for education to be wrapped in a fun package, and that's exactly what this series gives.

As much as I enjoyed this series, it's obvious that it's written for young people. If you're an adult that simply reads middle grade for the fun of it, you might find parts of it corny. I won't lie! I did at times. I was easily able to look past it to see what a wonderful gift this series will be for my boys in a few years, though.

Lord willing, you better believe I'll be adding these books to our shelves for my boys to read! They are great, clean, adventurous fun and I enjoyed reading them!

*Great Bear Rainforest gets a *tiny bit* more on the fantasy side with bears and dreams leading the way. I honestly couldn't tell if there was some Christian allegory going on or if it was simply a hat tip to Native American spirit beliefs.

**I was provided an e-ARC of both books in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. My son and I just finished the first book which we loved! Finally, a good clean series full of adventure for boys. We also got e-ARCs and so we will be buying the print books. The website is awesome and my son loved the fact that the series is loosely based on these boys' own travel experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm encouraged even more that my boys will like this series one day, too, since your son enjoyed the first one so much! I'm pretty excited about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete