Friday, June 7, 2013

Didn't Finish

I really don't like not finishing books! But, when there's too much sex/profanity, I have to call it quits. I just heard a lesson a few days ago that helped me in my convictions. My preacher said that if your conscience bothers you about something and you do it anyway, whether it was a sin in the first place *or not*, you're sinning. I've always believed that, but sometimes it helps to have someone else tell me. My conscience bothers me when I read books with sex/profanity(that exceeds the mild level), though, so I have to call it quits more than I'd prefer.

These are a few books I've had to call it quits on in the past few months. (Several of them I've already posted at Goodreads)Honestly, they've all kind of contributed to my running into the pages of more and more middle grade fiction(and Christian non-fiction). I seem to be reading more of both lately. There should be lots more reviews soon! Adult fiction has a way of doing that when I get brave and venture into them. I *am* highly sensitive to these kinds of things, so my comfort level won't be the same as yours. I do appreciate knowing books that I need to mark off my list, though, so hopefully, this will help some of you! :)





His Majesty's Hope: A Maggie Hope Mystery by Susan Elia MacNeal

Unfortunately, this book wasn't my cup of tea all the way around. I don't usually read "war related" books, because I'm highly sensitive to violence, but this seemed like a light book as far as that goes. It's set during World War II, and mostly in Germany, so there's more violence than I cared for. It's still probably pretty mild for those who aren't so sensitive. There's a scene where children are euthanized, because they have something "wrong" with them(deaf, Down's Syndrome, etc.) There's one scene where a Jew is being hung, because he slept with an Aryan. She is having her hair chopped off at the same time. I started out reading this book at night. While I'm rocking Bumblebee to sleep, I have some wonderful, quiet reading time. Unfortunately, it didn't do great things for my sleep, so I had to move my night reading of it to daytime.

Before reading, I thought for sure this was a clean series. I'd been wanting to read them for awhile, so when I got the chance, despite the fact that it was the 3rd book in a series, I jumped at it. I got about halfway through. I only got that far, because I especially hate not finishing a book when I've requested it for review.

There's mild profanity. I only came across one sex scene(remember I stopped halfway). While the act itself wasn't described in detail, there was enough details afterwards that gave me more of a mental picture than I cared for. There's references made to sex, too. Example, two men are in bed, and one tells the other one he knows how he can repay him. It's obvious he wants a sexual favor. Homosexuality seems to be a big theme in this series.

Other than the content, I also simply found it slow for my tastes. I couldn't get into it, and really wasn't drawn to pick it back up, unfortunately. Maybe if I'd read the other books in the series, I would have connected with the characters better.

*I was provided an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.




French Twist: An American Mom's Experiment in Parisian Parenting by Catherine Crawford

When I first saw this book, I put it on my list immediately! It looked interesting. I didn't finish it, though. :S The profanity was more than I'm comfortable with. I was having fun reading it, otherwise! The author has a humorous tone, and although I didn't completely connect with her, I enjoyed the laughs she provided.

From what I read, it seems like any other parenting book...you take some advice and you leave some. It seemed more memoir than advice, though. There was a great deal of comparison between typical American parenting vs. typical French parenting. I'll admit some of the French ways made me a little jealous! ;) But, overall, I won't be taking on French parenting any time soon with my little ones.

*I was provided an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.




The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna Van Praag

I got about 60% done before calling it quits. Honestly, I should have stopped before then!

Up until I stopped reading, the profanity was pretty mild. Once the f-bomb came along, I skimmed a bit through the next several chapters, and it happens more regularly. Plus, the sex scenes were more than I'm comfortable with.

Of all the books I haven't finished, I think this might have been the hardest one to stop reading! Without all the content I'm not comfortable with, this book is ADORABLE!

The house is a temporary home for women who have lost hope. They each have 99 days to get it together with the help of the house. The house is magical. It will throw a birthday party, complete with cake and balloons. There are pictures all over the walls of past residents, and they have conversations with the guests.

I loved all of the book talk, which always make me smile! There are scenes taking place at a bookstore and a library. Many of the past residents were writers. There are quite a few books mentioned, too.

I really wish the content was cleaner, because otherwise, this was a charming little book!

Content:
Profanity(including the f-bomb), sex scenes, and homosexuality

*I was provided an e-ARC through Netgalley.




The Sweetest Dark by Shana Abe

I got 67% through before quitting.

This is a fantasy, but it doesn't really seem like one for awhile. There's a bit of mystery throughout reading until almost halfway through as to what the characters actually are. I already knew, though, and that was the only reason I decided to read it.

It's also a historical book, taking place in 1915 at a boarding school. Both of which are pretty cool aspects of the book!

At first, I was reading this book very fast. After a while, it became so slow, though, that I found myself having a hard time picking it back up. Also at first, the profanity was very mild. When "g-d" was used, followed soon by the f-bomb, I decided it was time to set it aside.

*I was provided an e-ARC through Netgalley.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your minis and content warnings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first book in the Maggie Hope series and it was alright, although there is profanity and homosexuality. I am not motivated to read the next books in the series. I find the content I mentioned is creeping into middle-grade fiction too, and I have to be careful what books my kids read!

    If the content really bothers me, I will not finish the book. If I finish the book I make sure I mention the content in my review. I hope authors become conscious that there are readers who prefer books without profanity or explicit sex or too much violence.

    Good for you for following your conscience!|

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to get the "411" on Shana's novel. I've seen it around on Goodreads and the like and was interested in it but something always held me back from reading it. Now I know that was good intuition.

    Thanks for making me glad I made the right decision - f-words and inappropriate sexual content never endears a story.

    ReplyDelete