Monday, June 10, 2013

Baked Alaska: A Culinary Mystery by Josi S. Kilpack



Baked Alaska: A Culinary Mystery by Josi S. Kilpack

Shadow Mountain (February 4, 2013) 368 pages

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed Baked Alaska! I almost *know* I would have enjoyed it more if I'd read any of the other books, though! This is the 9th book for Sadie, and while I wasn't lost in the story, I do feel I could have connected with the characters more if I'd learned more about their quirks and personalities in the other books. I'm sure a great deal has happened in the previous nine stories.

In Baked Alaska, Sadie is on an Alaskan cruise with her boyfriend, Pete, and her two adopted children, Breanna and Shawn. When a woman that Shawn has been mysteriously talking to shows up deathly sick, Sadie starts trying to solve the mystery of just what happened. Breanna is soon getting married also, but is having some setbacks with her future mother-in-law. Sadie struggles with both of her children knowing when to stay out of their lives and when to offer her assistance.

I think my biggest issue with Baked Alaska was the constant telling of how Sadie was feeling, and what she was thinking. I wanted to experience those things a bit more instead. Bless her heart! Sadie has quite a lot of things going through her head! She worries a great deal, and kind of came off insecure in this book. Aren't we all sometimes, though! She definitely has her humorous moments, and I can tell she's a sweet lady! ;)

The mystery is light and cozy-ish, despite deaths happening. I was able to figure out part of the mystery immediately, but other parts I didn't see coming. For the most part, I didn't find it predictable at all. It's a cute little book and I enjoyed myself while in Sadie's new adventure. I'd love to start from the beginning of the series, though, and fill in some details!

*I was provided an e-ARC through Netgalley.

2 comments:

  1. Great review. Thanks for sharing!

    BTW-I have numerous book giveaways going on at my site if you want to stop over and take a look.

    Also, I am hosting a "Best of Books" BlogHop if you'd like to check that out and sign up.

    Hope you have a wonderful week!!!

    Diane
    http://dianeestrella.com/best-ofs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I went and entered one of them. :)

      Delete