Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Heiress of Winterwood by Sarah Ladd



Thomas Nelson (April 9, 2013) 320 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Amelia Barrett is to inherit a large fortune, along with the Winterwood Estate when she marries by the age of 24. If she doesn't marry, she will lose it.

Amelia vowed she would take care of her friend's newborn baby, Lucy, as she lay on her deathbed. She's scheduled to marry Edward in just a few short weeks, but he will not let her keep Lucy. Of course, after being Lucy's caregiver for the past 9 months, Amelia has fallen in love with the little girl, in addition to wanting to keep her promise.

Lucy's dad, Graham, is gone a great deal of the time due to his job. When he comes to visit his baby girl for the first time, Amelia proposes marriage to him. Of course, it's only a business proposition. Amelia gets to keep her fortune, which isn't the biggest deal to her, but most importantly, she gets to keep baby Lucy. He's not so sure he is willing to make that kind of commitment so soon after his wife's death.

When it comes to Christian fiction, Regency set stories are probably my favorite. The Heiress of Winterwood didn't disappoint! It was a touch different from the average Regency with a *bit* of adventure and mystery. I don't really like the description that comes on the book! If you're curious about the adventure and mystery that happens, just read the description. It doesn't come until about 2/3rds through the story, so I felt it was a spoiler. As far as the romance goes, I don't think that will surprise anyone! ;)

The Heiress of Winterwood is a quick read. I have to say right now I actually appreciated that about it! I typically feel that longer stories give you more details, and that makes me feel more for the characters and situations. While that's still very true for this story, I enjoyed getting from beginning to end sooner. Sometimes you just want to read a *great* book in as short an amount of time as possible, and that's exactly what this book provided.

If you're looking for a sweet Regency romance, this is another one you can add to your reading list!

*I was provided a review copy through Litfuse Publicity in exchange for my honest opinion.

**Two lessons learned today! ALWAYS close Blogger tabs after working on reviews! With just the picture code in this review, I got called away from the computer, but didn't close the tab. I worked on the rest of the review and posted it from another computer. When I clicked on the picture only tab, I lost the rest of this review. :S Lesson two: ALWAYS have your review backed up somewhere else. Thankfully, I had posted it at Goodreads, too.

If you came from my link over here to find nothing, that's what happened.


Sarah Ladd is celebrating the release of The Heiress of Winterwood with a Downton Abbey Kindle Prize Pack Giveaway!

Heiress-of-Winterwood-giveaway300
 One winner will receive:

  • A brand new Kindle Fire
  • Downton Abbey, seasons 1-3
Enter today by clicking one of the icons below. But hurry, the giveaway ends on April 30th. Winner will be announced on 5/2/13 {HERE}.





Tell your friends via FACEBOOK or TWITTER and increase your chances of winning.

6 comments:

  1. Yup, if I was on a five star rating system, I'd have given this one four. Good, but not quite up to my new favorite book. That being said, I did really enjoy it and can't wait to publish my review on Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now which one is your new favorite book? I've got to read it!

    I always enjoy your thoughts on books, so I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy! I love that more author's are writing regency novels. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I'm excited to read more of them, and maybe even a little Classic Regency, too. :)

      Delete
  4. This is the second review I read where the blogger really liked the book and said the same about the synopsis giving too much away. Added to my must-read list of fun books.

    ReplyDelete