Monday, May 6, 2013

My Reading Suggestions for Young People

Annette @ This Simple Home has asked a few bloggers to put together lists of reading suggestions for the younger generation. You can keep a check at her blog for a list of other participants' lists. I'm looking forward to seeing them all AND pinning them! :)


***As someone who really needs to challenge my reading more, I feel a little unqualified to be making this list. ;) Just keep in mind that *most* of my suggestions are probably more for fun as opposed to challenging a reader(some exceptions!). I DO think several of these have more value than the average read, though.

**Also, please excuse the lack of pictures. I've had computer issues and now I'm attempting catch-up. That many pictures would just take forever. :S

Younger readers:

*gender neutral unless otherwise stated

The Mysterious Benedict Society Series by Trenton Lee Stewart(I've only read the first one so far, but the others have came highly recommended to me, too)

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (I'm about halfway through, but I'm going to include it anyway)

Tomorrow Girls: Behind the Gates by Eva Grey (I only read the first one, but enjoyed it as a light middle grade dystopian, for the girls)

The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones

Pie by Sara Weeks(a cute little mystery set in the 1950s)

The Betsy-Tacy Treasury: The First Four Betsy-Tacy Books (P.S.)(first four books are gender neutral, in my opinion)

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale(for the girls, a little bit of romance in this one)

The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic by Jennifer Trafton

The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson(I've only read the third one)

Under A Fairy Moon by T.M. Wallace

Grandma's Attic Series by Arleta Richardson

The Friendship Doll by Kirby Larson


***The rest of these are generally for the girls.

Tween/Teen:

Emily of Deep Valley by Maud Hart Lovelace

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Christy by Catherine Marshall *It's been years since I've read this one! It was recommended by my grandmother, and I remember loving it. I *think* I recall there being more romance in this one and maybe even discussion of a past rape(although not in great detail). I really need to re-read it.

Mitford Seriesby Jan Karon

Wildwood Dancingby Juliet Marillier

Entwined by Heather Dixon

East by Edith Pattou

Tales of Goldstone Wood Series by Anne Elisabeth Stengl (gender neutral)

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Non-Fiction:

These are more or less books that have had the greatest impact on me, and are great for all ages and situations. I don't necessarily agree with all the views of Biblical teaching in here. That's the great thing about recommending these kinds of books to a daughter(if I had one). Lord willing, I would be there to discuss any questions she had(just like Jonathan and I will do with the boys). If YOU take these suggestions and have any questions, I'll be glad to have those discussion with you, too! :)

Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy by Nancy Leigh DeMoss

She's Got Issues: Seriously Good News for Stressed-Out, Secretly Scared Control Freaks Like Us by Nicole Unice

Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books by Tony Reinke(I need to re-read this one sooner, rather than later)

Pursuing Peace: A Christian Guide to Handling Our Conflicts Robert D. Jones

Almost Amish: One Woman's Quest for a Slower, Simpler, More Sustainable Life by Nancy Sleeth

Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food by Lysa Terkuerst

Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lisa Terkuerst

Bible Study Books:

These are written by people more in line with what I believe the Bible teaches. Again, I'll be glad to have discussions with you if you have any questions! :)

Anything by Don McWhorter and/or Jane McWhorter(Mrs. Jane recently passed on to her reward. I cry as I write that because I miss her so, but I'm thrilled that she is with the Lord and with Brother Don. They were such a wonderful Christian couple who are *still* impacting lives with theirs).
*A few favorites: She Hath Done What She Could, Friendship: Handle With Care, Special Delivery: A Course in Letter-Writing, Roses in December: Why God Gave Us Memory, We Bow Down(several women wrote this one)

Anything by Cindy Colley
*Women of Deliverance, Women of the Genesis

Because I Said So by Celine Sparks(A love to read this lady's work! She is effortlessly hilarious!)

Happy Anyway! by Jo Ann Mills

Evangelistic Women A Study Of Women's Ministries by Pamela Stewart

My Sister's Keeper by Kerry Duke

The Begging Place by Becky Fowler Blackmon

The Six Gifts of Hospitality by Laurel s. Sewell

Come to the Garden by Teresa Hampton

From Vultures to Hummingbirds (6 Attitudes to Eliminate...7 attitudes to cultivate) by Mary Alice Wilhelm

Easing Life's Hurts by Jack Wilhelm and Bill Bagents

*I really need to get back in some of these books soon!!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for Anne Shirley! As well as Shannon Hale's books. This is a great list! :)

    So you'd recommend Entwined? I haven't read it. But I've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter loved The Tomorrow Girls and Book of a Thousand Days. I'm going to check out some of your other suggestions. Thanks so much for this list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have compiled the list of my friends' recommendations for chapter books. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    http://www.thissimplehome.com/2013/05/books-for-advanced-readers.html

    ReplyDelete